Board engages brakes out of nowhere

To me that looks like a signal problem. Normally the VESC is preset to give neutral after preset amount of time so If you just lost a signal, you would get last remember position of the throttle for half a second and then you would get neutral. So either your remote or the receiver gone bad(I also surely hope so) Hate these things. I got the same remote and today I have experienced something new. With a lower battery (light wasn’t flashing yet) I had to recalibrate the remote in my metr app as it started giving slight brakes all of a sudden. After charging I had to redo it again as it started giving a little gas. According to the metr log you slammed on your brakes, VESC wouldn’t do that by itself (shouldn’t) so something with remote/receiver. You may wanna switch to the wand. And I totally agree with everything you are saying. I am not going for anything other than trampa VESCs ever again. THis has also happened to me in the past (not this violent) and it was when my ppm cable came loose. Check the general stuff and then switch the remote/receiver. Good luck.

1 Like

Now thinking of it i just remembered my old single drive vanguard build with a 4.12 Vesc, that board had difficulties where it could accelerate and brake wildly without me doing anything. Turned out to be the PPM cable that had poor connection to the connector causing the signal to be unreliable, may be as simple as that.

@Esk8_Spirit sure thing,

1 Like

I edited my post… Yep badly connected ppm cable could do that ( I hot glue it in on both sides) shorting wires in the ppm cable… Man this shit scares me. I ride over 60 among cars and am becoming scared pretty fast. For some reason your receiver just sent full brakes…

Glad you’re OK Jens!!

1 Like

@Seabjorn @Esk8_Spirit what’s your Rx Failsafe set to?

APS remote is set to neutral from the factory. Iw your board is in neutral when you switch off the remote then the failsafe is neutral.

1 Like

Just checking! :+1:

That was going to be my next question till I saw it was an APS.

@Seabjorn check ppm cabling because I recently found a badly stripped wire into a connector that was causing intermittent dropouts. I also had a slightly loose phase wire that did some strange things. Obviously if you have a short on your phases then that will cause braking.

1 Like

This is the point where Brian (@b264) gets to brag about the benefits of dual receivers/split ppm

2 Likes

Lets not open that can of worms again.

4 Likes

Nah it makes me laugh every time

It’s like one of those memes you can watch over and over again

And no to anyone who was thinking that you are a sick minded human I am a clean 15 year old watching highly age appropriate content

1 Like

giphy-37

3 Likes

@Esk8_Spirit yep it’s spooky ahlright, this time i was out on a 80 kph country road and if i didnt manage to throw myself to the right i could very well have been hit by the car coming from the other direction. usually trying to avoid those roads but living on the Swedish countryside there are often no alternatives.

@Dareno PPM connection will be the first thing i’ll check tommorow. I swear if i get another short in an APS motor i will fly my ass over to the UK and probe that 80100 piece up his alien bu****e

2 Likes

Haha!

I hate to say it but if its happened before…
1st rule of troubleshooting. Start at the place of the last similar fail

2 Likes

I thought you already have trampa motors. I have been using maytech until now but when I have the money I am going for the VESC6, Trampa motors, Wand, no BMS, custom quality battery pack. Sleeve every cable, hot glue everything I can and it should be fine :slight_smile:

hmm well there’s something behind that. Again though, a short circuit will cause braking due to the jammed fases causing the motor to cog right, not by giving negative amps. Really hope that it’s just the PPM cable.

@Esk8_Spirit nope, never had trampa motors. been using pretty much everything else that’s common in the eskate scene. APS is great when they work, or more like IF THEY WORK. effing crap consistancy on those.

1 Like

I had experience with something similar where I was just minding my own business and riding like normal and the board just suddenly brakes and thrown me off…

After checking and i found 1 of the 3 phase wires were loose, and I didn’t see it as it wasn’t popped out from the heat shrink…

3 Likes

I had a cracked solder joint on a ppm splitter that threw me off the board. On Broadway in front of Penn Station in traffic. Many ways to fail.

@Seabjorn it felt kind of like signal loss (control latency), then full lock brakes.

1 Like

That is usually failsafe. Either full whack or full brakes. Scary shit but dependant on remote type.

1 Like

Not failsafe in my case. It kicked in in under 3 seconds. Repeatable, as in I got on again and it tossed me again at super low speed lol. Not repeatable on the bench with a good splitter. Mini remote. I think intermittent PPM wires can do something crazy.

Side note, I can’t believe I couldn’t run it out at slow walk speed, even when I was half expecting it. I must have been in a weird zone.

Note 2: I had a very hard time trusting the board after this, even after diagnosis and repair. I think it took like a week.

1 Like