Board caught fire- post fire setup

So I had a snaffu with my off-road build where the phase connectors got pinched between the metal plate and truck mounting hardware. Rubbed or broke thru the insulation and cause a short during motor detection. Resulting in some fireworks and a fire.

I retapped up my connectors and let it all hang loose vs tucked. Plugged ever thing and let it power up. No sparks and ran a manual motor section per side and was able to get signs of life.

Are their any other checks I should do before I try to do a final assembly?

7 Likes

Only thing you can do is check temps and see if VESC tool throws any faults.
Where exactly did the fire occur?

1 Like

Picture 1 and 2 show where it was.

Sparked out the back the. Poof fire out the side there

1 Like

There’s no real way to check for this other than actually test-riding, but just beware that phase-wire shorts like this have a high chance of causing damage to the DRV chip.

4 Likes

True words, i had this same thing happen once and the focbox was toastidos. You might be in luck by the sounds of it tho if it’s passing motor detection. Better pad up real good and be wary if you’re gonna test her out, good luck

1 Like

I meant to share in our chat @bboybowzer but I’ve got a policy of never having a single layer of protection on a phase wire outside of or going through an enclosure. Lately I’ve been using shrink tube by the roll. I know it’s on the bullets but there’s no back up plan.

I rewrapped about 1-2 inches from center both sides when I ran motor detection manually. The other 3 boards are mr60.

I’m gonna pull the stormcore out to see if I can see anything visually suspicious before going on a ride. And let a bother pair of eyes and hands take a look as well

1 Like

This exact thing is how I foced up my Focboxes.
wish I knew about mr60 at the time…

I see what u did there.

Noice

1 Like

This was 3 layers. Oops?

7 Likes

That’s not supposed to happen… I was under the impression that falcon drives emitted a force field that prevented such things.

2 Likes

Seeing this makes me want to make sure when I assemble my first build, that every single wire isn’t pinched and is safely stored inside, glad I saw this, hope everything turns out good with your build

1 Like

So board got the once over and I ran detection a couple of times and the homie road it around at full zip it seems fine.

Temp sensor for my primary (side that didn’t have fire) is gone. Not sure if it’s a connector issue or not but I can live without it’s.

Side that had the fire seems a little more wonky without load but under load board seems normal to me. Gonna do some laps along the river Incase I have to throw it in :joy:

4 Likes

Call that a @b264 level waterproof test.

2 Likes

Subbed

ive been using fiberglass tubing insulation. its more durable. wish they’d add just a couple strands of kevlar. (all kevlar stuff is super expensive)
uxcell 5pcs Fiberglass Heat Shield Sleeve 1.5mm(1/16-inch) ID x 2.95ft Adjustable PVC Silicone Fiberglass Sleeve Pipe - - Amazon.com

and painting edges of holes wires come out of with epoxy.

1 Like

Off topic. What are those sensors?

What we talking about?

bboybowzer this

That’s my power button dangling after it got caught in the fire during my first power up

3 Likes