Mooch’s Bench Test Results: Samsung 50S - 25A 5000mAh 21700…a great performer but ran a little hot

Is this what Propel is using in their boards?

Pretty sure it’s the 50e they are using. Someone on Facebook affiliated said so IIRC

3 Likes

:grimacing: hope not at 3p, otherwise they seem like stellar value

My whore mouth will do as it pleases thank you very much! (I run a 30Q pack right now, I have absolutely no leg to stand on here)

5 Likes

I would like a 12S9p pack of these for my Flux right meow…

3 Likes

maybe i should wait for this to come out!

Shit this might be my go to for personal batteries, the most I pull is 40A with my hybrid board

2 Likes

Waiting for new stuff is a never-ending battle, there will ALWAYS be something new that comes out soon that’s better than what we have now. If you adopt that strategy you won’t finish anything IMHO :smirk:

4 Likes

The 50E3 (latest version) is probably still being made as they are two very different cells for different applications and probably being sold at very different price points.

I don’t know how similar the chemistry is to the 30Q but I would be surprised if it was the same as the 30Q has been around for years and there have been a lot of small advances in formulating the materials that are used. The 50S probably uses these newer materials to get the performance it has versus just having more of the same materials the 30Q uses.

4 Likes

Someone was sniffing these out a while back

3 Likes

Anddddd then we find out they’re $9.2 a cell… :persevere:

4 Likes

Yea, it’s going to take a while before these come down in price…maybe a long, long while.

Basically, for any cells we buy we have to wait until there is excess inventory at one or more of the big customers for these cells. It gets sold off and eventually makes its way to a distributor or cell rewrapper who sells to vendors who sell to the various communities (esk8, vaping, flashlight, etc.). There is an occasional unauthorized direct sale by an unscrupulous sales rep at one of big manufacturers but this doesn’t happen often.

3 Likes

Heh à 12s3p will run 666wh at 3.7v per cell, you will please Skatan :smirk:

Your wallet won’t be tho!

2 Likes

@Battery_Mooch what is the sag like on these cells compared to the P42A?

Compare the delivered-Wh numbers for those two cells here: 20700/21700 Battery Ratings | E-Cigarette Forum

The lower the E-Score (Wh) the shorter the run time due to voltage sag and/or capacity differences.

2 Likes

So it seems like the 50S outperforms the P42 with regards to sag at 5A, 10A, 15A, and 20A, but falls short of the P42A at 30A per your tests.

Would an esk8 battery in real world conditions pull more than 20A a cell? Thus, seems like the 50S trumps the P42A (except for cost).

Depends on the setup and how you ride

2 Likes

I ride fairly aggressively but have only pulled 40A max out of 12s/170-190kv builds. (That was on a full battery accelerating up a very steep hill.) Between 2:1 and 4.4:1 ratios. All 3 are geared primarily for torque.

Granted I am on the lighter side, so that might impact things?

For context, I’m thinking of a 18 or 20s HV build with low KV and 7-8” wheels. Ratio of around 5.2:1 to 3.25:1 Do you think something of this sort would pull more than 20A/cell?

(I’ve already plugged lots of different numbers into the calculators and they don’t seem to suggest a high current draw, likely due to the HV nature.)

likely due to the pack being large :stuck_out_tongue:

100%. Battery current on a board is proportional to total power draw, and weight plays a big role.

I think if you’ve only pulled 40A battery from 12s builds, then your high voltage build (assuming it’s at least 2P) will pull even less, so yeah, seems like the Samsung 50S is the cell of choice for you, assuming it’s cheaper than the P45B :slight_smile:

1 Like

The 50S is the (slightly) better choice at under 25A or so. Above that the P42A is better, especially at very high current levels.

2 Likes