Belt scraping off on idlers

It looks to me like the belt is being scraped off by the idlers. Is it cause it is a crappy belt or because I have it too tight or too loose?

pulleys wear out one side of the belt, idlers wear out the other.

but it shouldn’t be that bad.

belt tension should feel like a rare steak in springiness. And check the free spin of your idlers, they might be too tight.

3 Likes

Yeah, this is after like 10 miles of riding. Seems excessive to me.

My opinion of idlers is already an unpopular one, so i’ll rest my case early. After i say try slightly shorter belts after you ditch the idlers.

4 Likes

I’m going to try loosening them up a bit.

I’ve already figured out I don’t really like them. But you don’t know unless you try.

2 Likes

I don’t like idlers either. As long as your using 16T. You should be fine without idlers.

Your idler is probably too tight. I’d only keep them tight enough so slack doesn’t allow your setup to skip a tooth. If they are too tight you’ll just add more resistance.

5 Likes

Why not? wearing out both sides of your belt at once seems far more efficient than merely wearing out one side.

7 Likes

Free Idlers! > More Belt Purchases!

I like how you think @longhairedboy

8 Likes

I got you, fam.

4 Likes

I had a hard brake situation that broke both of my belts. Im inclined to think it was because of the idlers wearing the backside of the belts. I’ve since moved to no idlers on one board and chain drive on the other. No more broken belts

It possibly could be to tight…but if there’s tons of material you’ll know when one of the bearings seizes up…lol