Beginner Question Thread! 2023 Edition

I can only get it for a very small part on the shaft and then it won’t come further. So do you need a lot of strength to fit it in or should I try it another way? I do have 2 keyways a small one and one that’s fits perfectly the shaft of the motor.

Does the key fit into the pulley keyway without the shaft?

Does the shaft fit into the pulley bore without the key?

1 Like

Both a yes

I already put that small one into it once. But it was very difficult to get it out :sweat_smile::sweat_smile:

Rotate the key in every single (sendible) direction and try each time to fit the pulley over. Otherwise try to sand the key down a bit.

1 Like

Cover the key with sharpie marker, then try to install. Wherever it’s hanging up (too large) will have the sharpie marker rubbed off, and that’s where it needs to be filed/sanded down.

Repeat as necessary.

5 Likes

But is it just normal you need a lot of strength putting it on?

Ideally it should be a light press fit (a few light whacks with a rubber mallet should do it) or looser.

You don’t want it to be too tight because then you’ll need special tools like a pulley puller to get it back off if you ever need to.
You don’t want it to be super loose because if it can move around too much under heavy accel/braking, it can slowly chew up the key.

1 Like

That makes sense, thx!

1 Like

What tubes are primo alpha tires? 170x45, 200x45, 200x50, some other odd number? Does it even matter?

Does anyone know what range of PWM frequencies vescs will accept as inputs? (like what frequencies do most remotes output?)

20ms frames, 1ms to 2ms pulses (50Hz, 5 - 10%) PWM

Not sure how far beyond that you can go.

1 Like

Try asking around in this thread.

What does “fail on startup” mean? What is it doing, that it shouldn’t? What isn’t it doing, that it should?

i didnt ask anything , because i what i am doing lol but thanks , if i am a beginner after 6 year in this forum i better quit esk8 lol

This is just a general questions thread, the other thread varied beyond looking for a file and it was offtopic.

Nobody is implying you’re a beginner. :blush:

the thing is , theses vesc are getting old like me lol

Hi All. In the VESC tool when setting battery current, the tool is asking for current per side here, correct? So if I’m running a pack made where and I wanna limit the amps to 120 total I would have the below settings, correct? And same for battery regen I would assume.

3 Likes

yes, vesctool is always per side value. so ur 120a pack should have 60a in vesctool

don’t forget to canbus forward the data to the other side as well

1 Like

Anyone any idea how to install this battery meter :sweat_smile: as you can see in the video, I can’t let it on one value… I also don’t know what that F means.

1 Like

P is likely to mean lead (Pb) and F is likely to mean LiFePO4 and c might mean li-ion (cell, cylindrical).

But I don’t know.

I’ve seen similar abbreviations. You need to use trial and error to see what value works for you.

I’m guessing “10c” means “10S li-ion cells”

2 Likes