Beginner Question Thread! 2023 Edition

Buy a used DIY and repair it or upgrade it.

I’m looking but my budget is only about 1k Canadian pesos

1 Like

Can’t make more money if you can’t get to work

2 Likes

This is the argument that’s making me consider a couple $100 backup ESCs like Lingyi or something

1 Like

Slightly unrelated, but how do you get the smaller grey text next to your name? I need to add mine to state that I’m an idiot who put 2000+ miles on a defective part. Either that or to have it say first to break a surf adapter in half

I wish I was joking about both of those but they are facts

You need to send a private message to longhairedboy

Make sure you include the text to copy/paste or I can’t guarantee what you get asking for something and then not sending it

2 Likes

Lol ya what Brian said

Mods used to give these names out when you did something funny, or said something dumb

Then mannergate happened and the fun went away, now only the leaders can give them and you have to ask

3 Likes

HEY! Who can tell me which motor mount is the most compact? And while I’m at it, how does the BN M1 compare to a compact belt setup? I want to tuck the motors under the deck, things get pretty tight under there with the enclosure and all that buttstink.

1 Like

I think the Whoosh ones are the shortest I’ve seen if you can find some.

2 Likes

The small BN caliber mounts are pretty tiny

1 Like

The M1 street drives takes pretty much the least amount of space. They saved my shortboard build from incompatible component doom.

2 Likes

The most compact mount I’ve ever seen is the old enertion mount. But if any hit the marketplace you better be faster on the trigger than I am.

The most compact mount I know about that’s commercially available new is the short Caliber one from @Boardnamics, I think it adjusts down to 56mm minimum (center to center) if I recall correctly.

1 Like

Any tips on getting adjustable baseplates to make less noise? I think mine are rocking back and forth during riding. If I flip my board over and move them forward and backwards they do seem to have a little bit of play.

Using the BN adjustable baseplates.

1 Like

I don’t have the right crimper for that one, so I will just solder it then. Thx everyone :pray:

1 Like

The mboard ones that are basically clones aren’t as compact as the originals?

The MBoard clones are not available. They’re almost the same thing. But they are also unobtainium.

Honestly, the short Boardnamics ones are good and they come with Caliber OR Boardnamics clamps, and the enertion ones don’t have BN clamps. So the BN ones are very good. The enertion ones are slightly more adjustable, in & out AND up & down but they are also a pain in the ass to adjust. And the enertion ones can’t mount reverse, but if you’re looking for short mounts you’re probably not trying to mount reverse anyway.

1 Like

Ahhh yes, I remember those…

I think that’s what I’m going with. @KaramQ has a sweet dt for sale that might just do the trick.

Upgrade will always be possible in the case this won’t work. I’ll have me some Gd’s eventually…

I wish those were still around. Such a solid design.

Thanks for all the feedback fellas! Gdamn it’s good to be building again!!

4 Likes

They are still a relevant design IMHO but they have a few major flaws.

They don’t conduct heat away from the stator nearly as well as an all-aluminum mount, it seems. They can’t mount reverse. They only have Caliber clamps available, no BN or other clamps.

That being said, they have some as-yet-unmatched advantages in certain use cases. “Smallest belt drivertrain” being key here.

1 Like

I’m pretty sure it won’t matter, but I’m fine to temporarily use a front hanger that is about a cm or two wider than my back hanger right? I want to strip and paint both of my hangers but the extra front hanger I have that I know is safe for eskate is slightly longer than my current one. The extra back hanger is the same exact size though since the motors that came with it just had a slightly longer bolt on the strator. (or whatever the fancy name for that section is)

I’m leaving the base plates as they are though since they’ll match better with everything else as is and it means less taping work for me that way.

You’re correct. No issue.

1 Like