Beginner Question Thread! 2023 Edition

Most good skateboard bearings have them built in now a days (0.5mm). Speed rings are more of a hangover from days past. That said, I still use them on all my boards, push and electric. Doesn’t hurt at the very least

What sorts of comfortable cruising speeds are you guys averaging on pavement vs a crushed limestone bike path?

2 Likes

Pavement usually in the high 30s low 40s

Loose surface under 25 usually

4 Likes

Gang gang.

I hate and love that crushed limestone stuff. It’s fun to slide around a bit and keeps you on your toes but can get squirrely so I keep it lower on that stuff.

3 Likes

A TP4056 or similar single-cell li-ion charger will do in a pinch, they’re available from any of the usual scumbags for less than a dollar each in many cases.

Here’s my noob esk8 question of the day.

I have tork bort AT wheels and 2 out of 4 are pretty wobbly. Is the unbalancing mostly due to the shoddy tires? I’m assuming I gotta slap some new urban treads or evolve wheels to get wheels that don’t shake

1 Like

There’s a dozen reasons AT wheels can be out of balance. Obviously poorer tire construction can be a big one. But you can balance all but the very worst of them and it makes a huge difference. There’s a guide here on the forum if you just search the word “balance”

1 Like

Got a bolt that’s loctited in

Heated with a torch for at least 30 seconds and it just won’t budge
Any ideas?

Have any thin oils you can spray? Spray some and let it seep in there, add heat and try again. Oil helps a lot

2 Likes

Will try
Wd40 ok?

1 Like

I’d suggest sewing machine oil. It is very light and seeps into mechanical parts great

1 Like

If it’s not an allen bolt, use an impact

I go 25kph avg, max 30ish kph and it feels like a lot. Idk how y’all go 30mph+ (50kph) :exploding_head: I’m a noob :joy:

4 Likes

Yeahhh I thought it would wear off faster but I’m still spending most of my time around 25-30 as well. I have gone faster but I’m topping out at 40 at a stretch and that is absolutely not comfortable. Coming to accept it to be honest, it’s a bit like having a low alcohol tolerance because it just means I’m a cheap date (or to bring the questionable metaphor back to earth; I’m happy on a cheaper board)

1 Like

One thing I can say is I’ve never fallen :grin::raised_hands:

2 Likes

Ey, i go 22 kmph max. (Norway laws). I once went 45 kmph uphill, and it was FUN. Can understand why people like more speed. But i’m not gonna risk getting my board confiskated.

5 Likes

Noticed some hairline cracks starting to form on two of the bolt holes on my board. They only look like they’re on the first ply so I’m not too worried about them, but what could have caused them? Too tight/loose hardware? They’ve got something to spread out the load on both the top and bottom, and the deck hasn’t hit anything. It’s also only on the right side too, the holes on the left are fine.

1 Like

:fist_right::wood:

3 Likes

welcome to the club

2 Likes

What trucks are those? I’m kind of confused why there would be stress there in the first place, since aren’t those where the preload adjustment screws are?