Beginner Question Thread! 2023 Edition

Do stock hypertrucks have 10mm or 12mm axles?

How the hell do I order from Fogstar?

I’ve just received an invoice for 50x Samsung 40T cells and 3x 20 packs of 21700 insulator rings for £200.40

Do I just do a bank transfer to the account details attached? How will they confirm I’ve paid?

never

1 Like

What is likely to be the most reliable option…

4wd dual DV6 connected via CAN with one remote/receiver

Or

4wd dual DV6 with split PPM from remote reciever going to both ESCs.

In both cases the cable will need to be about 44 inches.

Thanks all.

1 Like

What do you mean

It offers no buyer protection

1 Like

There is a small discussion here that’s probably worth reading

I would 100% go with CAN. Having the ability to use a single bluetooth module for all 4 escs would be the main reason for me.

5 Likes

Yes that is cost effective for sure. After reading through that thread it seems a lot of people go split PPM. Last time i did CAN with 4wd on DV6s it worked fine though so will likely do it again.

1 Like

¿Por qué no los dos?

You can actually do that while using PWM control if you want to.

Just saying it’s an option.

So are you saying to still have the ESCs connected over CAN and use split PWM control?

2 Likes

yes. I do this currently on my build, but on a smaller scale with only 2 ESCs over CAN and PWM split to both.

it provides sort of a “failover” for if one input has an issue the other one is there to still be connected.

could even go a step further and have 2 receivers connected to the one remote in case a receiver goes.

this is a case where I think redundancy has a place.

1 Like

I do want the safest option for the equipment I have so worth considering.

But you can’t have two receivers with most remotes. Definitely not the puck anyway.

1 Like

I’m using a mini remote, which lets you do it.

you could pair two receivers to the puck, but you can only use one at a time and if it fails you’ll have to reboot to connect the other receiver, I think.

1 Like

I have no idea why anyone would want to do this. Seems like a bad idea to me.

One or the other, sure. But both seems weird.

I’m not even going to entertain the idea of multiple receivers.

3 Likes

Multiple receivers is out anyway as not possible with remotes I use. I can see some merit in having a CAN connection for programming and split PWM for the remote. But then I wonder if the two will interfere with other as well?? I’ll try CAN first and see how that goes.

1 Like

This isn’t a possibility if you only choose one.

I’m not saying TO do it.

I’m just saying you CAN do it if you want to, if it makes sense for whatever you’re building.

Nobody in their right mind should want this, it’s the least safe “solution” (misconfiguration).

Canbus works great. I’ve logged many thousands of miles on canbus setups with zero issues.

1 Like

I have a Stormcore 60D+ which is a dual motor VESC.

I want each motor to have 25A, for a total of 50A.
aka:
motor 1 = 25A
motor 2 = 25A
the total of both would be 50A

when in the VESC tool, do I plug in 25A or 50A?
see the attached picture so this makes more sense.
Ignore values already on the screenshot, they are not final values and were there when I downloaded the software.

Vesc tool is ALWAYS per side.

So you need to set that motor to your desired settings and then connect to the other side of the controller and do the settings again there.

Be sure to actually write the settings.

Push the scan can button to see both sides of the esc

Push the write motor settings button to write the settings to the esc

1 Like