Beginner Question Thread! 2023 Edition

Sounds like you should desolder the MR60 and feed the wires through the enclosure then, resolder the MR60, then epoxy the wires in place. Add fumed silica thickener to the epoxy and then after that cures you can cover it with a thin layer of runny epoxy to smooth it out if you want to.

2 Likes

That’s a possible solution, Brian. @glyphiks got a link for those gromets?

Edit:

Something like this would work, no?

1 Like

Those ones are blank, so you need to cut your own hole, but yeah, same shit. I just get them from the local auto store

2 Likes

Yeah, those will work, or you can get ones with holes already molded in them.

If you desolder the MR60s and just run the individual wires, you can also get cable glands with multiple smaller holes like this one.

2 Likes

Brilliant thx @b264 @rosco @glyphiks and @MysticalDork :beers:

3 Likes

Anyone know what connectors the exway hubs use?

higo or a copy of it, since there is no branding on it, but the pins are same location

2 Likes

Same layout but different pinout.

3 Likes

yes probably, i think i have the pinout somewhere, for the exway hub

2 Likes

sdbgg

i hold no liability for the accurancy of these images

5 Likes

I appreciate it, thank you.

3 Likes

This because the exway motors did not work with the Wowgo motor detection afaik. Daniel Kwan mentioned that they are using a different pinout than other motors using the same connector.

2 Likes

the problem with hobbywing is that, sensor ABC or 123 needs to be in specific order, it will cog if u switch it around
i did experiment on my old backfire G2T motor with few different hobbywing esc, all of them cog until i have it in the “correct” order

edit: also, i think exway hub is the only one that has temp sensor iirc, all other hobbywing motor doesn’t

3 Likes

Some of the Ling-yi escs will also allow you to go faster than the normal maximum speed while going downhill. Not sure what happens when you try to accelerate more on them while downhill since I didn’t try it for my old esc that 100% let you go over top speed. I would get to 44-45 km/h on some hills with it when the max speed was rated to be 42 km/h. (rated at about 26 mph max and ended up almost 28 mph downhill)

My current Ling-yi esc doesn’t seem to allow it but I also have a hall sensor issue on one motor that sometimes limits the speed. So I can’t say if it will also allow for coasting at a speed higher than the max speed.

1 Like

Quick question, I have just made my first enclosure from fibreglass using polyester resin and am happy with the results, however… I thought as it was mdf, it would be a good idea to paint the mdf plug then clearcoat it, followed by 3 to 4 coats of a diluted pva then some wax to make it easy to get out.

Wasn’t so easy as the epoxy has made the paint tacky and left residue on the inside hence my question

Should I leave till the paint residue has dried properly then sand?

Or

Should I clean it off now and if so what can I use safely with polyester resin so not to ruin the fibreglass?

Tried a bit of 99% alcohol and that just smeared it

1 Like

I’d try get it off with acetone

2 Likes

Ahh, will try that now, wasn’t sure if acetone would damage the resin

It might. Just be careful

Did you cut the mold like that shape?

Looking a bit better now, is it best to rince off with soapy water after or just leave it now?