Beginner Question Thread! 2023 Edition

Omg. This could so easily be modified into a ballsack

4 Likes

Esk8 truck nuts

Make the loopkey itself the ballsack.

4 Likes

For a dual loopkey setup each key can be a testicle

If I wanna build a one wheel (for someone else)
Where is the place to look
Where can I find info online? Anyone got tips

Search for “funwheel” and not Onewheel

Also here:

7 Likes

Your the best :relaxed::relaxed:

1 Like

Just got my awesome tyres. So i had to test them on my hubs.
They fit. But now i can’t get the hub halves out/separated from the tyre. Its REALLY stuck in there.
Is there some trick?

Edit: I managed to get some soap between the hubs and tire, and got them separated. :smiley:

I have a baseplate from which I need to remove the kingpin. A few moderate taps from a hammer wasn’t enough to get it moving. Would it help to put it into the freezer for a few hours?

I’ve never tried this, but likely, no.

Aluminum (22 *10-6 m/(m °C)) has roughly twice the thermal expansion coefficient to steel (11 *10-6 m/(m °C)). Meaning aluminum will get longer/larger than steel when both are heated, and shorter/smaller than steel when cooled. You’d likely tighten it up more by putting it in the freezer.

Instead, heat the baseplate up with a torch or heatgun. Maybe even just put the whole (cleaned) assembly in the oven at 150C for 30 minutes (without bushings) and try it again.

Ref: Aluminium vs steel contraction when frozen - Endless Sphere

4 Likes

Thanks! Will give it a try tomorrow

1 Like

Oh smart, would it also make sense to freeze the whole thing and then torch the baseplate? I’m just thinking because I don’t have easy access to an oven I’d be comfortable putting anodised or painted metal in even if it was clean, but in a bag in the freezer and then hit with a torch is manageable

1 Like

It’s unlikely that you’d be able to heat up the outer part fast enough that the steel inner piece would remain cold.

Relying on the different thermal expansion rates is probably your best bet, rather than trying to get differential expansion by differential heating.
In that case, freezing the whole thing first just means the torch has to do more work.

(It CAN be done, shrink-fit CNC tooling works this way, but they generally use multi-kilowatt induction heaters that can heat the toolholder in literal seconds.)

5 Likes

Ah great thanks, yeah that makes more sense

2 Likes

Hey, sorry if this has been answered before but i couldn’t find it by searching.

I want to build a pretty underpowered setup on a Landyachtz Obsidian and Loaded hubs so I can downhill with brakes. I’d go 12S, which tops out at 50 kmh ish.

My question is, what would happen when I brake at >100% duty? Like when I’m going downhill at 60 kmh or so without electric power and want to slow down, would my VESC/battery fry by braking?

1 Like

brakes actually take more equipment

For example, a single 6355 is enough to go, but it’s lacking in the stop department. Of course it’s enough, but it’s weak as shit.

This is very bad and you don’t want to do this. In fact, the motor probably won’t allow you to go that fast unless you edit some settings in terrible ways, which would also cut your brakes.

Gear your setup for like 100km/h

I don’t know if it’s true in VESC, but Hobbywing ESCs absolutely would let you go over 100% duty when coasting. In fact if you press on the accelerator you actually slow down to 100%. Shouldn’t the max eRPMs and maximum voltage be the main limiting factor here?

I was just referring specifically to VESC firmware.

There are many other ways to do it.

2 Likes

Ah shit okay, thanks for the feedback. Its probably not worth pursuing then.

I’m still curious what would happen when braking at >100% duty though. Maybe the VESC just doesnt repond to inputs at higher duties, but Vedder must’ve thought of something.

2 Likes