Beginner Question Thread! 2023 Edition

You mean don’t limit the speed at all? I don’t really need it for myself but I thought it’d be good in case a friend rides it.

1 Like

u just had this issue @xsynatic , it was something to do with the forward and backward speed isn’t it?

no, limiting the erpm will lose braking ability once erpm exceed that set number, so its more dangerous

3 Likes

That’s not what I mean.

I mean this, and, more specifically, only on VESC.

Gotcha. Is there another way to limit the speed in case I want to do that?

I would recommend going the hardware route of changing direction. Vesc tool changes the direction, but not the correlating speed settings.

So your working Motor for example has

Forward 30mph
Reverse 10mph

Your inverted motor needs to have

Forward 10mph
Reverse 30mph

And since this is a big mess i would recommend you change the phase wires so no firmware trickery is needed.

1 Like
3 Likes

Okay thanks, that’s what I figured from my testing, but I wasn’t sure if I was missing a software option for inverting the speed settings.

Duty cycle limits are much safer imo

1 Like

This is how it looks with inverted motors. Bad bad bad

So those Vesc tool profiles change the duty cycle to limit the speed or did you calculate the max duty cycle for each profile? I was attempting to use the Metr modes but it looks like those modes adjust the max erpm which is why I assumed that was how to limit the speed.
Edit: My bad I see you were showing the inverted limits, not the profile speed limits.

The vesc tool ones as well as metr limit the ERPM, not duty cycle.

I personally haven’t bothered to use and calculate a duty cycle limited mode because for me erpm works perfectly fine.

I either have full speed or 6kmh and since the 6kmh mode only is active while not riding, using the erpm one is fine.

2 Likes

Thanks @b264 @xsynatic @ShutterShock @frame! Duty cycle limits are working perfectly and are ignoring the inverted motor.

3 Likes

Nice! Glad you got it figured out

1 Like

I think the problem comes with erpm mode if you roll past that erpm limit you don’t have brakes

Don’t quote me bc I haven’t tried it before but I think? that is right? @b264

1 Like

non esk8 related
can i use my laptop usb c charger for a speaker with usb c (speaker says 5v input and uses one of those small phone usb c cable)

Depends on if your laptop charger uses a standard or not

Is it USBC PD?

Also, sometimes, USBC PD won’t charge normal “usb c” charging devices

1 Like

I think so too.

Duty cycle is the way to go if you actually want a usable limited speed mode. If you do it like me erpm is fine.

2 Likes

Not sure how it handles higher voltages. I personally wouldn’t go over spec.

1 Like

depends on if ur laptop charger can output a lower voltage, some can’t do that. most modern laptop charger i saw from apple / asus / samsung can auto output 5v, but u should check the prints on the charger, it should say what range or set voltage it can do

4 Likes

Anyone able to recommend for or against Mach bushings? I need to get a few to try out and they’re so cheap they’re looking tempting