Beginner Question Thread! 2023 Edition

I should probably add what I’ve been thinking for my build so far:

Battery: 10s3p or 4p, Li-ion most likely. I’ve seen some from Meepo that fit this spec, but not sure on quality.
Motors: probably hub, not sure what sellers ship to Canada without me wanting to burn my pitiful student wallet
ESC: I’ve seen that the ones from MakerX (probably the dual VESC 4 set) aren’t too bad. The only local brand I know is Lacroix with their Stormcores but that looks WAY overkill for what I’m building.

1 Like

First of I’m gonna say carbon fibre isn’t a very good idea. It’s conductive and acts as a makeshift Faraday cage for your remote reciever and any wireless telemetry. (As in it blocks wireless signals)

Welcome to the struggle. As a fellow Canadian I feel your pain. I’ve had to order my parts from the US, China, UK and even as far as Peru and Switzerland.

MakerX is great as they ship by air so you only have to wait a few weeks for that, and in my experience the VESCs are pretty dang reliable even up to their advertised current.

I highly recommend you get a VESC 6 based ESC and not one based on VESC 4.x.x

P.S: this seems like it should be it’s own thread

2 Likes

Start with a helmet. I know it might sound silly (someone else called it putting the cart before the horse) but I’m very serious. Helmet is going to set you back anywhere from $100-$300+. When you finish your board are you seriously going to wait for a helmet to arrive or, worse yet, to put together the money for one because you spent it all on parts? Or are you going to hop on your death machine thinking “I’ll just ride extra safe for a few weeks”?

Helmet first

Mboards has apparently stepped up their game for batteries (among other things) so don’t cross them off your list especially if you don’t need a custom pack to fit a particular enclosure.

Don’t worry so much about carbon fiber and radio signal unless you are making a carbon fiber enclosure as well. Worry about a reliable remote instead. You might be in luck there with the unfancy remote progressing nicely and it’ll be pretty much dyi at a low cost.

Welcome to the community

7 Likes

Carbon blocks radio, so glass fiber is highly recommended over carbon. Glass also has other properties that make it better for a deck IMHO. Only thing glass lacks that carbon has is “big dong energy” and “svelteness”. Glass wins in the technical department.

1 Like

I want to put some lights on my lacroix lonestar supersport
I’m wondering about how to set up the light strips in regards to not tearing them due to the flex in the board
So the picture is a sketch of the bottom of the board, black squares represent the battery compartments / flea lines, Coloured lines represent led strip configurations, what would you guys do

Agree 100%

3 Likes

My goto is the $80 S1 Retro Lifer which I usually wear — even though it’s sitting beside much more expensive helmets…

3 Likes

Any tips about getting more motor clearance? Its about 2cm off the ground, but I can’t put it higher because it touches the truck…

1 Like

reverse mount it

1 Like

Isn’t possible because my enclosure is too large

1 Like

ohh wait that is reverse mounted :man_facepalming: Your motor mounts are super short then. longer mounts and maybe a truck riser would let you put it higher

1 Like

Hmm I just have those motor mounts of dickhyo so I tought nothing special :woman_shrugging:

1 Like

is it me or what, i can’t tell which way the board is facing

3 Likes

You’re right if you don’t know you can’t see it clear😂

Now you can see it :slight_smile:

2 Likes

ohh u need longer mount if u gonna rear mount the motor. that dickyho mount is meant for forward mount iirc, but he does have a longer mount which is made for rear mount

2 Likes

Thx didnt know that :smiling_face_with_tear:

1 Like

u not able to forward mount it? ur enclosure in the way?

1 Like

Yeah that’s impossible

1 Like

oof

1 Like

Will just do it with my 2cm clearance :rofl:

1 Like