Beginner Question Thread! 2023 Edition

This is a common problem with FSESC6.6 in my experience, including the plus and mini variants.

Your ESC is a critical part of your hardware. Don’t skimp on it if you can afford it and get something known to be more reliable.

Try programming each side separately, run a different version i think 2.05 of vesc tool works for the flipsky in my experience, flash the software again, make sure connections are solid… ive had a few flipskys 6.6 dual and once its working ive had no problems.

1 Like

Yeah I regretted buying it afterwards… Should have went with another vesc… Lessons learned, they aren’t even that much cheaper than other solutions

@bearlyrecognized
Thanks a lot I’ll try that, I also didn’t have any problems during testing everything was smooth until I reconfigured it a few times

2 Likes

Also do you know were I can get this older version of vesc-tool? since Vedder doesn’t let you download older versions

2 Likes

How would a single 6355 190kv motor compare to dual 5056 motors (200kv)…would it be significantly less powerful, similar enough? Im about 70KG if that helps estimating any real world difference I might experience.
(i realise motors differ, but lets say Flipsky battle hardened line, for example)

Old_VESC_tool_versions

3 Likes

Unless you’re gearing for < 10mph I don’t think it will be satisfying. Even 2 6355s combined wouldnt be terribly powerful , so if you’re going for a single you probably want something bigger

thanks, so you recokon a single 6355 would max out at under 10mph? - yeah that is pretty low. I found dual 6374 a bit too much for my street/park build, so im planning a build for something light weight - 12s1 or 2p batt - with single or dual motors just for carving/cruising. I rode a dual 5054 and it was pretty chill, so am thinking something similar but with a single 6355 motor…i guess what your saying is that dual 5056 would be more powerful than a single 6355?

1 Like

No it could absolutely go faster. You just won’t have much torque at all

What im saying is that i the way my priorities line up, I dont think I would really ever consider a single 6355 on a build due to the low level of power it would afford. I think im the wrong person to give advice on this though, so you should wait for someone with more interest/experience with lightweight stuff to weigh in.

1 Like

It totally depends on what kind of board you want. A single 6355 is plenty for a street board but the braking is going to be terrible. Dual 5065 would be better, but I don’t like those [Racerstar] motors as much, they seem to break a lot, they get really hot, and they’re horrible for HFI.

Are you using your drivetrain as a ski lift or as a dragster?

Are you using polyurethane longboard wheels or pneummies?

If the answer to either is the latter, than a single 6355 won’t work for you.

IMHO if you want the smallest, cheapest, and lightest drivetrain that works really well, then you should seriously consider a 1WD 6384, with the drive on the rear heelside.

3 Likes

plan on using the board most on flat land, just for carving really - not for speed or accelerating super quick. I also plan on using DKP trucks and I looked at racestar but I had a hard time finding DKP motor mounts that werent only for 63** motors, so am thinking im stuck with 63**, unless someone is parting out an evolve.

Would be riding thane only - TB 110’s and /or blue cags.

a single 6384 is a good idea. Ive already got some saved for an eMTB, but that wont happen for sometime so may just use one of them.

I’d definitely without a doubt go the single 6384, and don’t use a Kv that’s too low. Like 190Kv on 12s or 190 - 230Kv on 10S, preferably at the higher end

Gear with as much reduction as you can, this means get the most teeth on your wheel pulley. For 110mm wheels, 42T to 44T are awesome and 40T work, 36T are bad. For cags, multiply those tooth counts by 85mm/110mm

2 Likes

$1000 Verses showdown.
Need to know which to choose.
Need one of these for potentially wet and cold winter to come.
JUST ON SPECS and not personal bias as I have my own, which one which is the better option. The 12s3p p42a Molicels and carbon deck is appealing. While the newer flexy bamboo with bigger motors and latest hobbywing esc gets my attention. I’m about 216lbs need a commuter street board running 6 inch pneumatics that can do a 15 mile round trip. Options to tweak maybe motors or esc later. Thanks in advance.

Trusting the specs given by someone profiting financially from sales is often a mistake.

From experience I’d bet the ownboard will be 10x easier to repair

not exactly, the inside of the enclosure is practically fully potted

That’s what I’d expect from Lycaon too.

I’ve heard both companies CS is shit so neither one shines out to me on that front.

And I’d think that when people shop “specs only” they’re crafty enough to overcome the shortcomings of the board through a bit of diy.

1 Like

+1 for buying something used

A 12s3p at 12wh per cell (per Mooch @ 10A) is 432 wh / 30-35 wh/mi = 12-14 miles. A 12s4p P42A pack would be a better option.

This is $950 and I would take it over either of those boards in a heartbeat.

Other options:

3 Likes