Beginner Question Thread! 2023 Edition

Its calculated from the voltage and your voltage cutoffs.

I’d trust the vesc reading more than the smart bms reading.

1 Like

What are some good numbers for a 12s pack?

What cells?

What numbers? Do you want ESC cutoff settings or remaining percentage numbers?

Samsung 40T, looking for voltage cutoff numbers start and end cut off for the VESC app. Currently I have 40.8 start and 36 end

That’s exactly how i set mine. You can definitely go lower on the hard cutoff, i wouldn’t go much lower than 32V though.

If you’re wanting for range and don’t have crazy high power settings, you could try like 37-32

1 Like
5 Likes

Does anyone know if skatebaord truck hardware follows a standard size? I assume it does but I can’t find the damn specs posted anywhere.

I’m guessing they are 7/16" from using my calipers, or they could be M5 if we’re using metric. They’re Caliber II baseplates so I assume it’s the 7/16", but again unsure.

10/32 is standard. I use m5 tho. M5 bolt will work in a 10/32 nut

3 Likes

The truck bolts are FUB 10-32 size.

It will, but then the skate tool won’t fit :disappointed:

2 Likes

I got you, M5 0.8 x 25 are equivalent/ the same as standard baseplate hardware. They can be bought at Lowe’s or Home Depot although they tend to carry less of the metric stuff so they could be out if you don’t see them.

for the nuts I either bought hardware that came with them or I just tried the nuts on the bolts in the store. Don’t have a separate size written down for them so they might have been sold together at the hardware store

Lol i can never find the skate tool anyway

2 Likes

Yeah you can always just get M5 nylocks. I don’t think I can trick McMaster-Carr into thinking I’m an enterprise again this time but I might be able to yoink some 10-32’s off my Baja SAE team.

You don’t have several of them in random places? I have ended up with 3 and I don’t know here the 3rd came from. One I bought, the other came with my electric board.

2 Likes

I’m still new enough that I only have one :joy:
And all of my parts fit nicely onto one shelf.

1 Like

i think i have like 4 plastic one and 2 metal one now, and i’ve only had 2 prebuilt board and 2 esk8 bolt on kit. i also don’t know where the rest comes from. im sure if i just open 3 random drawers, i probably find another one

1 Like

Lol yes but i also have quite a lot of random places :sweat_smile:

1 Like

That looks way more organized than any of my work areas have ever been. Also you’d only need maybe like 10-15 skate tools lying about to make sure one is always in reach.

3 Likes

How high can I realistically set the motor current on a Stormcore 60d+ with a fat heatsink?

While pushing it is there anything I need to look out for other than temperature?

At some point you’ll drive the motors into magnetic saturation. At that point nay extra current will not improve the performance basically at all, and will only go towards generating heat.

1 Like