Beginner Question Thread! 2023 Edition

hello i’m planning to build a 10s board with 6374 motors and i’m looking for a cheap esc . i found the esc used for Bone boards to be quite cheap with the remote… (way cheaper than a vesc) it commes at 140 with the remote:

coud you tel me if it’s good quality or if there are other alternatives arround this price point? ( 200max with the remote)
i am quite on a budget so i prefer to be sure before i get it
thx : )

Dropping this Q here. Is there a preferable way to connect your charger to your port?
Meaning do you first plug in your charger to wall socket (turn on charger) or charging port and then turn on the charger.?

1 Like

First wall, then board.

3 Likes

It’s a generic hobby wing esc. You won’t be able to adjust any settings and performance will be meh.

If you’ve never ridden an esk8, you might be ok with it but I feel you may outgrow it quickly.

Buy nice or buy twice.

3 Likes

thx , could you explain what do you mean by low performance ? and what other esc in a similar price range could i get? (i was planning to put around 200 for an esc and a remote)

Underwhelming acceleration. The newer hobby wing escs are a bit better supposedly but I haven’t tried one yet.

Here’s a great list of vesc based escs that you can look through and see what fits your needs for your build. You may even find one that checks all the boxes for sale here for a discount.

The mini remote is quite cheap and pretty darn reliable. Nothing fancy but it generally just works.

4 Likes

thx exactly the info i needed : )

2 Likes

Why do you want to buy the ESC twice? It’s usually cheaper to buy a better one, but only buy it one time. :wink:

Well, asking before clicking buy is definitely smarter. I would say at that price point, why are you DIYing?

But aside from that, IMHO a single drive is better for you. You could use one of those 6374, put it on the rear heelside, buy a mini remote, sell the other 6374, and then have about a $235 budget ($40 less to buy remote, $75 more after selling other motor) to buy a high quality single ESC.

What deck and enclosure and battery have you settled on?

Definitely wall, then board — as @xsynatic noted.

But I would like to add that I have had a charger that was just broken enough where the charger worked, but only if you plugged it into the board, then the wall.

But my advice is to not use any charger that shows any signs of abnormality, and I have since gotten rid of that one.

1 Like

i stil havn’t ordered anything i am making sure everithing will work…
right now i am going with:
cheap 6374 motors on amazon 73dollars
a50 dollars deck on amazon

probably this esc : ESC and Remote – Boneeboard

Mboard trucks
Mboard motor mounts
Mboard wheels
Mboard pulleys and belts

and for the DIY battery:
i am getting Samsung INR21700-40T 4000mAh - 35A cells
(for a 5p pack)
and a cheap bms on amazon

these are all the parts i am planning on using
i dont want the flipsky esc’s since they are expensive to ship to france and i need to buy a remote so this esc looks quite good even if i cannot programit…it saves me about 130 dollars

And for the motors i am planning to send theme back to amazon if they dont work…

if you have any advice to give me feel free.

I’d highly recommend an ESC that runs the VESC firmware. You can configure everything on it. Power, throttle curves, temp protection, traction control, etc.

There is also a rich ecosystem of accessories (remotes, displays, lights, loggers, etc) for it.

My advice is that this is going to be a headache, and maybe a disaster, because you didn’t choose the helmet, deck, and enclosure first.

I would also not DIY the battery, and I would not use a cheap Amazon BMS, and, if so, please provide a link for it so you can get feedback. Many BMSs don’t balance.

Also if the remote comes with the ESC, it’s a sign of shittiness and should probably be avoided IMHO.

Have you considered buying a used DIY skate on the market? That can cut costs substantially.

1 Like

if by helmet you mean head protection i have one, for the enclosure i am planing on cnc cutting/ 3d printing something.
for the battery this is the BMS i am planning to use (it sould ballance charge)
:https://www.amazon.fr/gp/product/B083QCGBKN/ref=ox_sc_act_title_5?smid=A3SCFTIO8CSK1X&psc=1

if you can recomend me a trusted 10s BMS i’m interested

and finaly for the esc i was under the impression this one was okay since it’s sold with the B one boardsand they have good reviews.
but i think i’m going to try to find a vesc even if it’s more expensive :worried:

i have tried to find used parts/ boards but since i live in france shipping is quite expensive and i prefer anyways to build it myself

If you’re going to run the BMS in discharge mode, 2.6V is too low a cutoff. 3.0V would be a lot better.

Also it mentions having balancing (I think) but doesn’t specify a balance current, so it’s not guaranteed to have balancing at all. And, this is essential and can’t be left to chance.

So for these two reasons (or one reason) I would not use this BMS.

I would not recommend a 3D printed enclosure.

But either way, I would make this FIRST, and do this BEFORE you purchase any of the other parts.

Also IMHO it’s very likely to break — so strongly consider maybe just 3D printing something that you then add fiberglass around the outside to make it strong.

1 Like

could you recomend a BMS ?
thx

Not without knowing if you intend to use it in discharge or bypass mode.

Also it would help to figure out your enclosure and then battery first. The battery you choose may already have a BMS. But either way, knowing the series count and chemistry is essential. Knowing how much space there is helps a lot too.

Order of operations is extremely important and it’s easy to fail or spend lots of extra money by doing things in an order which reduces chance of success.

1 Like

i still need to do the enclosure last since i need to see the size of all the components on the board.
i know this isn’t the normal way but with a CNC it shouldn’t be a problem
and of course i wasn’t planning to 3d print the entire enclosure in pla :sweat_smile:
i’ll find a way for the enclosure …

1 Like

Famous last words.

I specifically don’t recommend this for a first build.

4 Likes