Beginner Question Thread! 2023 Edition

more read time, reply to a few threads, then u should be golden

2 Likes

Search and check if it is needed first.

4 Likes

@superjet700 cant tell, is this cell making contact with the nickel?

ebffa342f55d24c5a549d3e597db2fcee2ff0df6

2 Likes

Yea except im trying to sell me board :stuck_out_tongue: Il keep reading and posting until im recognized.

Add your country to your profile.

That deserves a thread :ok_hand:t2:

Just FIY, discourse might prevent you from posting comments or other things at the beginning. Theres a certain threshold for new users on how much they can post in a certain timeframe. Just so you’re aware.

Make sure to read this and apply accordingly. :wink: (rules apply for used parts, just a different subcategory)

1 Like

Based on this comment I’m guessing he found this pic on some group, but it’s not his pack

3 Likes

Missed that part, thanks.

1 Like

Thanks

It still has some utility in preventing overcharge/overdischarge and thermal monitoring (assuming temp sensors are installed), but yeah, I hate seeing batteries without balancing. It’s fairly common on power tool batteries where cost and size are driving factors, and a non-balancing BMS can be smaller and cheaper due to the reduced component count.

3 Likes

Very much worth it!! Thank you

6 Likes

this and balancing is like the very minimum function that needs to have, or else what’s the point of even having it

longevity isn’t their main goal, so they will cut corner on those, but an esk8?

cheaper maybe, but not smaller if their brain get stuck with a discharge bms

…Why do we use shaft keys instead of machining it into the pulleys themselves?

It’s much more difficult to machine

2 Likes

I figured, but it just feels… antiquated?
I bet i could turn a d shaft pulley into a key shaft pulley without too much difficulty, though.
Something something costs at production level.

Something something economy of scale

1 Like

Upon further thought; also, id rather replace a broken key than a broken pinion.

6 Likes

Good luck finding a broach that shape, and then holding it in the correct place while you ram it through.

The keyways are much easier to machine.

If it annoys you that much, epoxy a key into your pulley :rofl:

(That would be incompatible with a lot of motor shafts though)

1 Like

Oh, i got no problem with it, i just had an idea that i was sure had been had a thousand times before; which makes it a noob question.
That said, one day, i will need to fit a d shaft pinion onto a key shaft, and on that day i will reach through the timestream and high five the hand present me just raised.

In you guy’s experience, is it better to have too much or too little backlash on plastic gears?