BARRIKADE: 4WD Hybrid jumper V2 Update

U P D A T E S . B I T C H E S

BARRIKADE V2
We’re on V2 now fuckers, I’ve updated the photo at the top to reflect current state of the build! Check out the update comment below with more info on what’s been done/changed, and what still needs to happen!

After a huge number of revisions and a lot of pestering far more talented builders and designers (sorry to @ShutterShock @ApexBoards @jack.luis @Boardnamics @fessyfoo and probably a bunch of other people who are on here with totally different handles), I settled on this for a relatively bare bones V1 version and started this thread! A lot of things on here are honestly pretty sub-optimal, and I’d love feedback on what I can change HOWEVER

DISCLAIMER: I already bought all the parts and I’m a hard-headed asshole who generally learns best through failure. I buy stuff that I know probably won’t work just to try out new things, because I’m generally hilariously inefficient at everything and I like to lose money. My build list is gonna look super weird because I bought a ton of shit that just DOES NOT WORK and I figure it’ll be good info if someone like me ever reads this, so I’m gonna go through a bunch of the parts choices I made that turned out to be catastrophically stupid.

The ultimate goal for this build was to have something that didn’t feel like absolute dogwater for on-road and occasional light track riding, but more importantly had the chops to tackle technical offroading and mixed terrain. I think I’ve done a really good job setting everything up in such a way that this is feasible, but I’m also a gigantic fucking idiot so I guess we’re gonna find out.

Look upon my misfortune and laugh as I attempt to build the coolest thing that’s ever hospitalized me.

THE BITS
For the boring people, here’s an actual list of the final-but-not-final parts selection. The fun shit is down below though and you should definitely read through the raw chaos I endured to get here. Current component choices will be listed in bold in the breakdowns.

DRIVETRAIN
Boardnamics AT Gears > 3DServisas Gears > Jump Drives

Initially, I bullied Kevin into giving me a discount on a set of 4 of his AT gear drives, but one of my riders needed a drivetrain so I let two of them go at a bit below cost. Around this time, I was trying to find a set of Apex trucks for cheep cheep and wound up buying a set from @Brently that happened to have a set of Servisas strapped to one half of the assembly. After trying to figure out if it was possible to frankenstein two gear drives with different reductions together like a suicidal maniac, I ultimately decided that I was way too horny for a set of Jump Drives so I just slammed the buy button and grabbed four of those. I did this two days after they went to a once a month shipping model, and wept bitterly for like 26 days straight. Tragic.

TRUCKS
MBS 2 in Oil Slick > Apex Air
Around the time I started this project, I developed a highly neurotic and possibly sexual fixation on Oil Slick finish. I decided to purchase the MBSII in Oil Slick and design everything to use as much slicky oily as possible. Anyway, turns out MBSII trucks require a fuuuuckload of hand sanding to get the Boardnamics collars (mounts? IDK what the proper term is) on securely, and quite frankly I’m just way too lazy for that. I also tried Apex trucks for the first time around this period, and decided I had to have them. Shout out to @ShutterShock for making me spend more money, and shoutout to @Brently for the fat discount on his trucks.

MOTORS
Boardnamics 6355 190Kv Motors
Dead simple, sealed, super cheap, and I got to hang out in Kevin’s garage and touch his stuff when I picked them up. Perfect for a V1, but I’m probably going to swap to 6374 in the back based on early feedback about minimizing torque steer. These should work just fine for now though.

BUSHINGS
Riptide Krank
It’s uh… it’s Riptide. I have a line item in monthly budget to remind me to send money to Brad. I have a mason jar filled with Krank Formula bushings and at least twice a month, I think about how much they look like meaty fruit loops and wonder whether or not they’d taste different in a bowl of milk. I like RipTide okay.

DECK
Haero Bro > Trampa Wings > Trampa Big Boi with Wings

The question that I get asked the most when I talk to people about this build is “wtf bro no Haero?” so allow me to explain. I really like the feel of the Haero, but I fucking hate the way it looks. The Haero deck looks like an inbred snowboard. If it was a person, it would be a dude named Craig who exclusively eats slim jims and drinks vape juice. I do not know why the Haero Bro fills me with rage, but it does. So I picked the Trampa Wings deck because I think it’s pretty and I’m an idiot. In keeping with that idiot theme, I forgot to measure between the wings and it turns out the original flavor is too small. Lesson learned, price (literally) paid, onward and upward!

ELECTRONICS ENCLOSURES
Secret sauce by @ShutterShock
These were generously made for me by Ryan and I have zero idea if these prototypes are open for discussion, so I’m gonna shut my notoriously fat mouth about what makes them special until he gives me the go-ahead to discuss the stuff he’s working on.

BATTERY
12S8P Molicell P42A
This was also made by @ShutterShock but he spent like ten years on it so he could milk it for three youtube videos and a livestream :joy:. Nothing too special going on here, but it’s well made and I’ll definitely find a way to electrocute myself on it in spite of that.

BINDINGS
Trampa Ratchet Bindings > MBS F5 Bindings
Ratchet feels like an understatement; I loved the way the Trampa bindings looked, but I very quickly realized that riding in them for more than an hour made me want to saw my fucking feet off with a rusty bike chain. As such, I swapped over to the MBS F5 and have been very happy with the extra cable routing options that choice has given me.

ESC
MakerX DV4 > Stormcore 60D+ > MakerX D75
I originally purchased two DV4’s for this build, only to sell one to a buddy who needed a replacement before an upcoming ride, and then promptly after that I had a battery blow up on me on my daily driver so I had a free Stormcore floating around. I grabbed another Stormcore from a local who was selling one, patched up the Barrikade prototype, and promptly took it to ESK8CON where everyone smarter than me refused to ride it because of the Stormcores (it was held together with zipties too, so that may have contributed to the anxiety whoops). I’m planning to move to a MakerX D75 in the future based on early feedback about the build.

20 Likes

Wow that is gonna need a lot of formatting work lmao

2 Likes

who? :face_with_peeking_eye:

i’ll get you a remote, i got some spicy bits coming in?, sometime this summer

2 Likes

DM me :pray:

Haha ya you can post pics just no details on the special features yet.

Nice build thread! Can’t wait to try this thing out when it’s done. Minus the trampa deck but at least the wings make it somewhat rideable.

I appreciate you unknowingly letting me milk livestreams on it lel

To be fair. I said 8 weeks and it was only a little longer and let’s be real. It took you 2 more months to get off your ass and use it so it all worked out.

AND I’m offering a free “solder your charger connector in the parking lot” service! Not everyone gets that :wink::wink:

1 Like

Great build thread kyle! Look forward to riding it when it’s complete

Hey this is my thread only I get to throw shade in here :clown_face:

That’s what you’d like to think, but this is ESN :wink:

1 Like

i’ve ridden both bro and trampa with wings, imo they both feel great to ride (trampa is heavy tho)
and trampa bindings need a wide footbed deck and you have to adjust the strap angles and the footstrap angle but they can feel just as good as mbs ons

nice build :)))

@Evwan blows goats

Bring it in, my brother in Christ. I feel this.

@Sobrik3t Kyle you need to update your build here!

@Sobrik3t great work on this thread, it was an excellent read :metal:

Great looking build.

It’s like @poastoast and @ShutterShock boards had a few drinks together and had a child.

1 Like

Honestly it basically is

1 Like

my board got action before me! dam, i’m really losin my edge

4 Likes

Oh shit that’s right, the thing is rolling now. I’ll get some updates in tonight!

1 Like

Alright, time for the V2 update; a few component choices have been changed based on early testing, and a few shake tests have revealed some faults with the design. Let’s start with the component changes!

MBS METAL HUBS > TRAMPA PHATLADS
MBS metal cores aren’t compatible with the Apex adapters! Fuck me, right? I’ve swapped over to Phatlads in order to get something that’s compatible, and for the wider wheel!

MAKERX DV4 > STORMCORE 60D+
Buddy needed an ESC, so I helped him out and gave him one of my DV4s, on top of that my daily driver exploded and someone at SDESK8 was selling a 60D+ for cheep cheep so… it now uses dual Stormcores! That said, I plan to move over to MakerX in the near future, so stay tuned!

NOW ONTO THE SHAKE TEST RESULTS

Fucked around: Motors were mounted at way too high an angle, and I took one jump and promptly slapped my enclosures into them, immediately cracking both enclosures off the damn board. Ooops.
Found out: Motors needed to be rotated down.

Fucked around: Front right gear drive started shaking itself loose during a test ride after repositioning motors; oopsie!
Found out Using loctite is important, and I am now in the running for a Darwin award. Loctite re-applied to everything, two gear drives are now held together with 3 bolts. Life insurance policy updated

Fucked Around: Went with way higher bushing duro than recommended, Fatcone 90a and cone 93a all the way around; can’t turn the fucking board lmao
Found out: PKP feel is waaaaaay different than RKP feel; while 90A is usually the lowest I’ll go on an RKP board, the dual bushing setup creates way more resistance than I was expecting. New bushings ordered from @RipTideSports

Fucked Around: Ooooh, there’s a traction control setting in VESC? Let’s turn that on!
Found Out: Traction control disabled. Life insurance policy checked again.

STILL LEFT TO DO

• Install new bushings
  • Fix enclosures (currently held on with zipties wheeee)
  • Swap gear drives over to stainless bolts and reapply loctite
  • Fix all the throttle issues I am having as a result of swapping my controls around to accommodate shitty traction control (thinking polynomial with match .1 ramp, gotta test)
  • Balance newly installed Phatlads
  • Slime the tires for puncture resistance

Also, here’s the picture that almost gave @ShutterShock a brain aneurysm. In order to get this thing ready for esk8con, I put half an MBS core under each enclosure and ziptied it down. I didn’t have enough time to actually get the motor position rotated, so I rode it at ESK8CON like this lmao

3 Likes

AND HE STILL HASN’T FIXED IT

It’s marginally better now but for some reason he seems to be tied to those gross white plastic bits

hah

The original adapter was made for the wheels available at the time.
We’ve now got a new adapter which works for the new mbs wheels.

2 Likes