Banged up 72 aluminum pulleys

So what I want to know is how to avoid banging up my 72 tooth(on 8 inch pneumatics) aluminum pulleys.

I originally bought a set from ATC. I went and did some trail riding and the edges got banged up. I sanded the burrs away, but also ordered another set of pulleys from ATC.

Fast forward. Even after sanding/filing the bad edges, I was seeing some weird belt wear. So, I threw the new pulleys on. Was doing some normal urban riding today and jumped over a small curb. Bam, scraped the edge of my new pulleys.

The only way I can think to mitigate this is by pumping my tires up a bit more. That, or get smaller pulleys, which I really don’t want to do.

1 Like

The only real solution here is to upgrade to Gear-drive.

1 Like

What’s your motor pulley tooth count?

Could always see if someone has designed a bumper guard for your setup

Motor is 15. But was going to move to 18t

1 Like

Are your pulleys bigger diameter than your rim?

I’m pretty sure they are approximately the size of my rim

So if you go to 18t, you could also get a slightly smaller wheel pulley (you tend to want the pulley smaller than the rim. It saves the pulley if you get a flat). After said and done you should still have about the same performance torque and speed wise.

Riding loose surfaces (ie, kicking up debris) will almost always result in knicks and bangs. Even gear drive case take a little beating.

If he goes to 18T and then also a smaller wheel pulley he’s going to have way less torque

I think maybe OP was overanalyzing the belt wear, the reality is just that with trail riding and belt drive, you’re going to break belts from time to time, and the pulleys will most likely be fine with some dings and scratches on them

1 Like

Edit for better accuracy lol.

But yes, a little less torque and a little more speed.

But I still stand by, if you’re riding pneumatics, have a pulley slightly smaller diameter than the rim. I wouldn’t want to ride around on a pulley after a flat lol.

2 Likes

I may be, but the edges of the pulleys had some pretty sharp little snags on the lm . Yeah I don’t want to change both.

I have flipsky 63100 140kv motors, so I have quite a bit of torque, which is why I wasn’t worried about moving to 18t

1 Like

What width were the pulleys in relation to the belt? For example, a 15mm belt on a 16mm pulley wouldn’t really be too affected by edge dings if your belt runs true

They are definitely wider than the belt. With my old pulleys I centered the belt on the pulley the best I could.

The new pulleys have a raised edge wheelside, so technically if I ran them as close to the lipped edge as I could, the belt wouldn’t be affected by the damaged edge.

I don’t know if I can get the alignment perfect enough for it not to rub on the lip.

I’ve been having a hard time make sure my mounts are perfectly straight, so alignment has been challenging.

What mounts are they?

these

http://www.diyeboard.com/all-terrian-motor-mounts-for-dual-belt-motors-p-711.html

Oh lord haha yeah I could see those being hard to get straight

1 Like

Yeah they are kicking my ass. I’m open to suggestions

Think about getting some better mounts. Those will work but you will most likely have countless issues.

@Boardnamics makes a basic entry level mount for a good price. Had some myself and can say they were great with no issues.

I wonder if their “precision xl trucks” would work with my Matrix I clones

Do your research before you buy. We have a noob thread for asking random question as it might get a bigger attention there.

I may be wrong, but I think there are other vendor options for that hanger profile. Just cant recall specifically.

@Venom121212 might know…?

72T pulleys give little ground clearance, consider going to a smaller number of teeth like 66 or 62. You can keep the 15 T motor pulley. Still plenty of torque with a setup like that. I run 1:4 on my mountainboard wth 170kv 6374 motors and it gets me up some pretty gnarly offroad hills.

1 Like