AWD Eskate-Kart | 100kv Maytech hubs | 4.12 FSESC's | Left and Right throttles

I see, yeah I’d preserve the battery in this situation, doesn’t really matter if you lose acceleration or braking in a parking lot.

Duuuuude this is sick!

But if your battery regen is 0, where does the braking current go?

2 Likes

huh? My regen will be 10A per motor after 10s6P, or are you taking if the fuse is installed and trips?

It is currently 4A per motor but I now understand I can set the value higher.

Sorry, I thought I read you had your regen set to 0. My mistake.

Ambitious project dude, I love it :ok_hand:

1 Like

Yeah it was someone’s recommendation to use the setting of 0A… I didn’t take it.

Thanks on the positive words, so far so good! Metal fab, woodwork and some fiberglass away from a final model!

2 Likes

Placing here for future reference. I think the kart needs a speedometer and just a simple battery percentage reading. I will modify the open source code to suite my needs and use a 128x128 OLED screen (I have a couple from an augmented thermal vision project I was working on previosly) running off the teensy I have already running my throttle inputs and throttle light bars.

1 Like

I have experimented with OLED display. You may want to start off this branch: https://github.com/janpom/davega/tree/display_refactor

The basic functionality is in place. You’ll probably want to adjust what’s displayed. Currently it’s very simple. It just shows 4 lines of texts:

• max speed
  • battery voltage
  • trip distance
  • lifetime distance
3 Likes

You rock! Thank you. If they are available, I would love to show some support by buying a sticker or 2 off of you!

If you have any, PM me

1 Like

Dam ! Once again, you get me !! I’m in !!!
I have to find how to make mine now :love_you_gesture::crazy_face:

Looking at your face is awesome too :smiley: it’s exactly what I’m looking for in a new project !

2 Likes

I’m prettier than that! hahaha that’s my buddy / test dummy.

In other news! Find out today if the school is going to give me any grant money to help cover the costs of all this nonsense that is all in the good of science!.. you know, for research.

4 Likes

as long as we can see the same expression on your face, that’s fine!

4 Likes

Mcmaster hardware came in today and I am ready to start moving on more physical parts of this project. @BluPenguin should receive the battery soon and am excited to see what they do

My to do list is as follows:

• get dimensions together and get the “trucks” / “steering knuckles” cut from Sendcutsend.com so I can weld them up when I have access to the facilities at school again.

• Work on the open source DAVEGA code and try and tie it into the Teensy doing the throttles and throttle input light bars… maybe try and add a reverse switch as well (low priority)

• create CNC file for the weird rig I have to make for the bent maple deck.

• cnc foam for deck and enclosure

• epoxy and vacuum bag deck pieces

• final design and 3D print handles, joystick caps, loop key/charger/microUSB port and speedometer screen bezel (Using formlabs tough resin)

• trace the final shape, measure a couple of times and drill/cut once!!!

• finish and poly all the wood

• fiberglass enclosure

• spray paint or powder coat the welded parts?

• FINAL ASSEMBLY!

- we are taking pictures! and driving some parking lots!

8 Likes

UPDATE:

Sendcutsend get me my design for the back to me within 3 days and for a decent price.

Gotta get access to the welder now and melt them all together.

5 Likes

hahah fun to see who is behind the “madman who built a kart with maytech hubs”. Always wondered if there was a post about it. Cool stuff man :smiley:

1 Like

It’s coming along. One day I will just be folklore.

4 Likes

Decided to post this here as well as on the cheap and free thread.

update, I just bought them from a different vendor with free 2 day shipping

1 Like

Finished doing the modeling of the handles and joystick “caps” … so time to print them!

Using Form Lab “Tough” resin. Hopefully have them printed by the end of the week. I designed them to hold the joystick PCB’s and bolt into the laser cut metal center part of the wheel.

2 Likes

So awesome man, just read the entire thing looks so fun !
Nice job on the design too !

2 Likes

The actual design aspect was kind of put to the background of function and form but I think bent plywood and speed are pretty darn cool myself

I think it will be awesome when it is a completed object and all the electronics are integrated to an enclosure, there will be very little that makes it look like it should move a grown man at 30mph or accelerate the way it does. I am so excited to get the deck built and have a curve

The battery is coming back to me tomorrow from getting reconfigured by @BluPenguin and got 2 more P groups so it is now 10s7p in a layout that allows for it to fit in the enclosure in the renderings. More info on it tomorrow when I receive it and stop drooling.

4 Likes

Battery came back from @BluPenguin land! I am digging the clear shrink wrap and the communication allowed for us to chang from my original plans for a 10s6p stacked configuration to a 10s7p staggered with the BMS on the top.

Battery is now 10S7P and charge only BMS. This is a tiny cube of lightning!
I will now be able to boost the regen and actually have max power to the motors.

The battery will sit flush on the new “deck” and the motor wires will come up through the deck in front of the battery with the esc’s on top of or in front of the battery. Whatever works, I will have to tighten up my harness but that is little fish.

5 Likes