Autism friendly EMTB experiences (UK, South)

What kind of quantities are you talking about? How many concurrent riders? One? Ten? Hundred? Thousand? Ten Thousand?

1 Like

Hi! Welcome dude! And thank you for your hard work! I’ll try my best to answer your questions here.

With all of our DIY builds, we can easily limit speed and acceleration through many ways, but the easiest change would be through the VESC tool/Ackmaniacs/Unity UI by adjusting throttle curves and amps.

I’m not sure how much you’re willing to invest, but this is a difficult question to answer because quality and price might not equate to how much abuse they’re able to handle. If you’re looking mostly for abuse, I’d recommend looking into top mounted eMTBs because they’re a little more rugged in build

To my knowledge, there isn’t a remote kill switch for boards. There are remote switches and even roll-to-start, but no “kill switch” Generally, there’s only one power switch/loop key which is located on the board itself. I don’t trust riding a board if it can be remotely turned off by someone else

Depending on where you’re located, I highly recommend working with folks like @eBoosted @torqueboards @haggyboard.timo @dickyho @NoWind @MBS who already have lots of supplies on hand and they’re all very nice and handsome probably

9 Likes

Intense! While I’m UK based, I’m sure there are lessons to be learned from A-Skate, they sound like a good group!

There are so many committed vendors out there, I’m blown away by how much development goes into these!

5 Likes

1 on 1 is the plan, the awareness required is such that I don’t think I could do any more than that.
Starting from a limited speed and acceleration up to trips out on land with permission.

1 Like

are you handy with DIY at all?

3 Likes

First realise that I’ve not seen any board with a remote kill switch, so letting someone ride one of these is akin to letting them drive a car — they could go really, really, really, really far very quickly if they desired to.

Of course you could make one (or have one made) with a remote kill switch. I’d set it up with two remotes and the second remote just holds the wheel turned which allows the system to give throttle. If the board goes out of range of the first remote or if the wheel stops being held, then the system only allows braking and coasting. That’s how I would try it.

You could probably get a custom built skate for that, from someone on here.

Also, helmets are absolutely not optional.

4 Likes

what about the loopkey being tied to the instructor that pulls itself out a a certain distance?

Swapped to laptop for the intense number of responses I’m getting!

I’m comfortable with a lot of mechanics, electronics and general manufacturing processes, though I’m also familiar with my intense ability to not finish projects, sop focusing on vendors and mostly complete options availiable!

1 Like

whats the budget?

1 Like

I would not recommend that at all.

8 Likes

Anyone know if there are any laws against this? It might seem innocent and good-intentioned but it seems sketch imo

1 Like

There are, however, GPS trackers for boards where you send a text message to the board, and it replies with its GPS coordinates.

These were designed for catching theives but they might help you in your situation as well – for a backup plan just in case something goes awry.

3 Likes

Oh for sure, I’m not so familiar with RC / the VESC software, so here to be educated on that!

On gear, this in 100% NON OPTIONAL, I’m going with full face helmets, knee and shin, elbow and likely an armoured jacket.

Autism is largely a sensory processing disorder, so these things will be hard to get the participants comfortable with, but are so so important,

4 Likes

On the law, common activities or Autistic individuals include cycling and riding horses! Horses! Which are like vehicles you can’t actually control.

The biggest hurdles are insurance and consent, both of which are traveled ground!

6 Likes

This is an excellent response with a lot of detail, thank you!

The financials is a tricky one, I could spring for a Trampa but need to know what kind of abuse it can take (more misuse than proper hardcore offroad!).
I would also like to have at least two boards, so I could be alongside the participant while they travel.

5 Likes

Thanks man!

Autistic people don’t get enough credit, once they get into something, they will get SO VERY into it, it’s impressive.

4 Likes

Oh yeah? Please tell me more. :rofl:

Seriously though, autistic people are awesome.

5 Likes

does anyone know what takes precedence on PPM vs UART remotes if both are plugged in to the same vesc?

what would happen if PPM remote is fully throttled and the remote instructor brakes with the UART remote and viceversa?

1 Like

Actually the Lacroix Stormcore can do that with their kill circuit developed for robotics, you just need a seperate remote that will send the signal to close the switch.

4 Likes

If I remember correctly, there used to be a guy I used to work with in the Navy. He wasn’t actually enlisted but he was a civilian but it was known he was on the autism spectrum.

This dude had such a crazy intense understanding of electronics that it blew our RC div and E div minds.

So my question is: have you considered working with some DIY builders to open up quick workshop to explain to them what does what and why things work on an electric skateboard? Like a 1 on 1 with an experienced builder who’ll guide them to build their own board and understand the process with electronics. I feel like they’d get pretty interested

4 Likes