Anything Direct Drive related (SERIOUS)

Like revel boards direct drives?

4 Likes

i remember jeff teasing his own rkp DD’s on instagram

1 Like

Whenever I start planning my next build (lightweight commuter), I always come back to direct drive. And then I come back to TBDD vs elofty. And then I look at the elofty thread, see the dumpster fire, and back away slowly. And then I go to the TB website, look at the pricetag, and back away slowly.

And then I repeat.

25 Likes

A little something i messed around with a Caliber II and a hub motor.

9 Likes

Love it thanks!

2 Likes

Oh there is this :scream:

1 Like

Mad Fury DD with Mad Hub motor :

Made by our man @rey8801 :wink: :+1:

12 Likes

Yep, I wish he’d still make those

4 Likes

Don’t ever forget that DD is waaaay too wide for most small commuter boards

2 Likes

Not for long :wink:

8 Likes

My revel kit is straight powerful - with 90mm wheels. 100mm will eat into that torque. But for the comfort i take the 100mms any day

2 Likes

A skinny high-quality and serviceable DD that holds TB110 wheels and is strong (thicc axles, 12mm / 10mm / 8mm stepped) would be an instant hit for commuter boards

But seeing as dual 6355 size motors is about as small as feasible, it’s hard to imagine how narrow it could go.

11 Likes

You’re going to “mass” produce?

Time and interest will tell, that was my intention.

2 Likes

I had this idea the other day, that you could make a single, super long direct drive by having the hanger asymmetrical like this:

Maybe even worth doing something like this, for more traction:

Reason I came up with it was because I was contemplating putting my wheel pulley on the outside of the board, so that I could use narrower trucks, and large motors above the wheel.

Edit: Idk where the motor wires would come out in picture 2 lmao

7 Likes

oh wow. This would need a super beefy hanger and like a 16mm stepped down axle XD
Interesting though!

3 Likes

How narrow do you would need? The one I had design with dual 6355 was the same width as a Paris 195 mm

That’s perfect for an upper boundry

Maybe 10mm skinnier would be awesome

But I know that’s pretty difficult to acheive and still have good motors.

2 Likes

I think it is doable, hopefully one day I will manage to manufacture it

Or keep it and bigger motors

1 Like

How about 4 tiny motors, one for each wheel and four little tiny motor controllers

4 Likes