Am I wasting a d100s by going 12s?

Is it more inefficient than say, a dv6s? Is it just wasted potential? Is it heatproofing my build somewhat? Is it futureproofing my build? Should I up my s to say 14 or 16 and less p? Or will my range be more with 12s8p?

What are the general rules of overspecing the vesc? Would my 170 motors suffer with higher voltage?

1 Like

No idea if it’s the same with these new escs but my d75 was a lot happier and runs cooler at 16s than at 12s. Running the same amount of motor and battery amps.

You are fine running the D100S and yes you are future proofing yourself in case you want to go higher voltage down the road.

2 Likes

But, with 170 motors, and Only riding at twenty three lets say, would running higher voltage have any advantages I dont want to miss?

14x6 is the same amount of cells as 12 x8. oops 12x7

Also, what about heat? significant enough to go higher or not that pronounced?

2 Likes

Higher top speed or gear up for more power

2 Likes

It’s less cells actually. If all else is equal you’d get more range from the 12s8p I would say.

I have a 4WD running 2x 12S dual ESC with Trampa gear drives and Maytech 170kv (more likely than specified 190kv). Unfortunately I lack top speed with 9 inches wheels and I could have fixed that with more than 12S capable ESC since I can not decrease gear ratio.

So you have chosen future-proof at least!

1 Like

If 12s8p is an option, why not go for 16s6p? ESC would run a bit more efficiently and motors would be fine. Roughly the same range from the Wh, especially if you don’t need the extra current of the 8p. Also more options available if you want to up the torque/speed of the board.

1 Like