ABS_OVER_CURRENT when >5mph running HFI

Hey all,
I’ve got a strange problem with a pair of Maytech v6 ESCs both of which are running FW 5.1. After accelerating above a certain speed (~5mph), if I let go of the throttle it won’t respond anymore until I coast back down below the magic speed again. If I keep a light throttle to maintain a speed above that magic point, it’s fine and doesn’t cause issue. Issue is when I release the throttle above that speed.

After repeating the problem back at home I checked for faults and found both ESCs where throwing over current faults:

Fault : FAULT_CODE_ABS_OVER_CURRENT
Motor : 1
Current : 18.0
Current filtered : 10.4
Voltage : 47.21
Duty : 0.351
RPM : 19312.8
Tacho : 8615
Cycles running : 23
TIM duty : 2361
TIM val samp : 3360
TIM current samp : 3360
TIM top : 6720
Comm step : 0
Temperature : 29.91

What’s strange is that I set my general amp settings for both the ESCs way higher than this for absolute limits:

Like I said I’m running in HFI mode with 2 SK8-6374 motors and after watching @deodand’s HFI walkthrough, these are the settings i’m using:

Has anyone else encountered this before? Not sure why the current faults are being thrown when they’re so much lower than my max current settings.

2 Likes

Set your Absolute Maximum Current limit higher, boards draw a lot of current when pulling off. I had this exact problem and that was my solution.

4 Likes

I had the same issue. Raised that value and all sorted. Mine is set at 120A. Have seen @b264 recommend higher.

4 Likes

Set the Absolute Maximum Current to the highest value it will allow you to set it at, I think 150A.

TL;DR: it doesn’t do anything except throw faults.

Also lower the Fault Stop Time to 40ms in the Advanced tab

4 Likes

So I set the absolute max value to 150A and although I didn’t have a chance to get it to max speed before dark it definitely seems to have fixed it. Very strange, I’d expect the FW to have reported a current value at or above the previous limit. Is this a known bug? It seems like if the FW is to properly honor the abs max value then it should be reported in the fault code if anywhere :confused:

2 Likes

Just a thumbs up, I would place this is the Esk8 mechanics than DIY builds category :wink:

1 Like

Oh one other quick question! If I want to keep the max target amp draw of my pack at 50A, that is when I fully engage the throttle it should try not to exceed that much draw off the pack, I can have my motor amp max way higher than that battery max value without issue right? For example if the ESC was a perfect machine that took 10A @50v off the battery and stepped it down to 25v I’d expect up to 20A be able to be drawn through the motor. I want to increase my motor max amps to manufacturer specs so long as it shouldn’t draw more than specified off my pack.

2 Likes

Yep that’s fine.

2 Likes

Battery Amps ultimately dictate what gets drawn at max.

1 Like