A123 LiFePO4 Cells - the iron man’s battery

I use adjustable voltage cc/cv supplies for everything now. seems I built every board with different voltage requirements… And I rarely charge to 100%. But I think a 13s li-ion charger with trim pots can be tweaked for 15s lifepo4.

1 Like

no trim pots sadly… Lol I think only charging them to 3.64v will be ok.

@Fosterqc 3.55V is already ~95%
It is actually better for your cells to not charge further

1 Like

Yeah It’s just about getting what I have sitting here to work.

Actually since this 15S life pack is so close to a 13S one could they be directly paralleled? I forget what the rational with combining dissimilar packs is. If not I have a CC/CV that I can throw in.

If one has a lower internal resistance, it will deliver more amps than the other, and then when they have a resting moment, the high resistance pack will push a lot of amps into the now lower voltage pack. This essentially leads to extra cycling, potentially at too high c-rates.

People will advise you not to.
But if you never dis/charge them beyond either packs’ limits and in use draw A good bit less Amps than they could deliver, you will be fine in practice.
If you are ok with them potentially breaking sooner, and want to experiment a bit, go for it. But be sure to understand what you are doing first.

2 Likes

Sounds good to me, the 13S pack can put out 40A constant and 80A peak which should be ok.

Don’t know much about IR but I think the A123 cells will be lower than the SV-BA10 13s 20Ah Battery

It would be a good experiment, not enough irl testing with this kind of stuff out there.

1 Like

If you do it, take some current measurements of both batteries- I would be interested to see how they behave in practice.

1 Like

Yeah I need a current clamp. Or how would you do it?

You can get some cheap Ammeter with 100A shunt.

2 Likes

maybe eh? warning, this device is pretty huge.

2 Likes

@hummieee lol this looks good for you!

Wonder if this would be worth a group buy…

oh wait these are “A123 pouch cells” not 26650

two of those as a top mount MTB 14S pack would be interesting
58.8Ah I think

$42 a cell shipped sheesh

2 Likes

That would be an amazing battery for a golf cart or an e-motorcycle.

2 Likes

Oh they were selling them individually for quite a bit.

2 Likes

@malJohann and everyone… @b264

What chargers are you guys using for a123’s?

3 Likes

I don’t know about them, but I’m running a 14s a123 pack and I’ve got a typical 50.4v ‘12s’ charger going to my bms.

2 Likes

What’s the voltage of your fully charged a123 pack? Actually, let me just pm you :rofl:

1 Like

IMO, id keep the details in the open so its searchable. I like seeing the finer details when im looking around for pack ideas :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Nothin much in our pm, @Rob is using a 50.4v charger for 14s LiFePo4 a123 battery. I’m trying to
Find a charger for an 18s LiFePo4 battery :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Yeurp. It’s not hard to charge them, or find chargers/bms options, it just gets more expensive obviously the bigger your needs for powaa

I gave you a example of a usable charger + bms duo, but total it cost like 150$+, and doesn’t have the nifty Bluetooth features everyone craves

1 Like

Still haven’t convinced myself that I should get a bunch of those A123 and make a pack with them and save a little bit of money or just empty the wallet on P42’s.

I know @malJohann used LiFePo4 for a while, but switched over to LiPo. From a AT/OffRoad board perspective, just not sure if its going to be a bummer or not lol :smiley:

4 Likes