A123 LiFePO4 Cells - the iron man’s battery

LFP can most definitely go up to 3.65 per cell safely, but its not necessary unless you wanna squeeze evry last mah

1 Like

Do. It.

1 Like

FTFY.

1 Like

LiFePO4 charge at 3.65V/cell

However, near maximum range is achieved once you pass 3.45V/cell. From 3.45 to 3.65 has very, very, very little effect on range except it’s needed occasionally to turn on the cell balancers in your BMS.

Although unlike their li-ion brethren, they are a lot more resistant to overcharge and some reports even have them charging to 4.2V/cell without fires. However, that doesn’t buy you any capacity and just increases risk, so definitely don’t do that.

3 Likes

I’ve heard this too. LFP is such a stable chemistry, I wish we could get higher capacity cells because its perfect for safety for esk8. LFP would make it many times harder to cause catastrophic failure from battery issues

2 Likes

LiFePO4 excels in everything except “range per weight”.

If you need a long-range board, look elsewhere.

If you have a long range board, and need to complement it with a normal range board that is virtually indestructible and will be running long past when the li-ion batteries have shit the bed, then you need to try LiFePO4.

I have 3 LiFePO4 boards and love them. In fact, I just got home on The Blue One which is one of them. And yes, there was a charged li-ion board sitting right next to it. But I grabbed that one…

2 Likes

I am testing some littokala LFP for my business too big for esk8 but perfect for other E vehicles. They are cheap and cheereful I am running a 24v pack of them though my inverter so far so good. At around $6au for a 7000mah (6200mah actual ) cell. I wish I could get more headways but these will work for my application.

3 Likes

How many?

100 or so…

More than I have, only 20 or so.

Amperage? I’m interested

They are gold, my equipment has need in production 3 years now hundreds of cycles not much sign of degradation. I don’t think I will get the same life with littokala but who knows. The chemistry is solid. Too big for a board though.

Littokala claim 35 to 55 amps per cell I have pulled close to 15 amps with little sag so thats not bad. I always 1/2 littokala current claims. I wall looking at the 75amp 3.2 bricks but these work out much cheaper even with a Daly BMS.

1 Like

Just in case anyone wants these cells in a pre-built form, check our thread:

We will have about 100 batteries for sale. If you get 15wh per mile out of your drive train, easily can do 25 miles on a full charge.

They do take some time and care to take apart and also to assemble.

4 Likes

Will you have any raw cells for sale, or will they all go into these packs?

Forgot to mention in the thread. Will add but yes, We are selling them for $3 per cell + shipping. Considering it takes me about 2 hours to disassemble them correctly and these cells sell for $6.55-$13.50 per cell new depending on the site, still a great price for these cells.

4 Likes

which 14s lifepo4 bms?

1 Like

It’s just a litechpower bms. They have plenty of options

If you guys aren’t using a charge only smart bms, your really missing out.

Being able to see the individual cell voltages and your actual charge rate and seeing that it IS actually balancing, are all peace of mind things that $10-$20 more will give you.

Not to mention you can set it up so the bms charges you only 80% and still do balancing. You can set what voltage starts balance and where to stop.

It’s like going back to hobbyking ESCs instead of VESCs…

This is one of our battery packs below.

3 Likes

This is one of the LTT power ones right? I really wanna pick one up for my build