80mm Motors + gear drive?

Hello!

I am almost done with my board, only thing missing now are motors (waiting for the dickyho’s mounts to arrive so I know how much room there is for motors).
Now, originally I was planning to use the flipsky 6384 or 63100, but 80mm motors, especially maytech 8085 caught my eye.
Now first of all: what do you think about that motor, compared to the 63’s from flipsky? (maybe I should note that I am a pretty heavy dude living on a hill)
Are there any better 80mm motors? (price wouldn’t be an issue)

Now to my other question: do you know of any gear drives that fit on Paris trucks, that could be used with 80mm motors? Bevel drives would be perfect I guess but are hard to come by… (using 115 mm wheels btw)

Thanks!

Super overkill for small wheels dude. 6374 will likely be ample

Also, i don’t think i’ve ever seen a gear drive for paris trucks.

Maybe consider upgrading to BN trucks and gear drives

3 Likes

I believe Avio drives work on round hangers. But I don’t think they can take 80mm motors.

Trucks are sort of set in stone for this build (seismic g5, but they are round like paris trucks)

Also, is there any particular reason why one wouldn’t go for 80mm if budget allows? As I understand it, they are more power efficient, no?

I wouldn’t think they’d be more efficient. But i’m not well versed on that. I always try keep my motors as small as possible for weight/size reasons, but big enough that they won’t overheat

2 Likes

I take it you would not react well to my dream of 80mm motors on a 76mm wheel :joy:

I find overkill always brings a smile and after all you can always reuse parts when you realize you took it too far :joy:

The ‘oh man I totally don’t need this’ moment is priceless :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Lol. I would not react well at all. I can absolutely flog my 6355s on 76mm wheels and they are barely warm to the touch. Going any larger makes zero sense to me.

2 Likes

I would not use round hangers unless you plan to weld the mounts on.

Thanks!
I know about the potential issues with round hangers on esk8s, but I believe with enough torque on the screws that is not a huge thing.
Also, I love the seismic g5 trucks I am using and it would take A LOT of convincing to go for any other ones (especially as I already own those ^^)

Yeah 6374s are pleeeenty enough. 80xx motors are more suited if you want to build a gocart or something in that neighborhood. :smiley:

I run 6384s on my AT cruiser and those are already almost overkill. And I run 160mm pneumies.

Oh and the added bonus of better efficiency will be absolutely destroyed by the added weight.

Can I just say that I am SO with you on this?
I basically live for the overkill. If anything is worth doing, it is absolutely worth overdoing, even if it means you’ll have to go out of your way to make it work.

The 8085 doesn’t seem like a big upgrade compared to the 6384

These 6575 reacher motors seem interesting if you want to try something novel. 6500w/170A is a ton of power and 10 pole pairs should mean a smoother takeoff. Bolt pattern and shaft may require modifications… and will likely need a 75/300 or something to take full advantage

https://m.alibaba.com/product/62354311694/detail.html?channel=minisite_a2706.wshop_pl.113.i34&otherparams=%2F%2Fm.alibaba.com%2Fproduct%2F62354311694%2FReacher-RTO65-7-9Nm-brushless-dc.html&scenery_id=2&tracelog=a2706.wshop_pl.113.i34&spm=a2706.wshop_pl.113.i34&wx_navbar_transparent=true

3 Likes

Oh wow thanks!
I just found that the maytechs I was planning on getting are even smaller than the APS!

Curious about the motor you linked, will definitily have a look at it! Thanks!

It’s not that — it’s that the motor hanging off is very heavy in an environment with TONS of vibrations.

The vibrations will slowly enlarge the divot you make in the aluminum (with the bolt or setscrew), and the enlarged divot with allow more movement, which then can cause more enlarging, in a feedback loop. Eventually it’s moving all around and just generally super shitty.

4 Likes

They don’t. Made for Kahua trucks only. I have a set. Damn nice.

2 Likes

What exactly makes kahua trucks different from any other truck with round hangers?

1 Like

Both of these things are round.

2 Likes

If the diameter isn’t too far off and it is mounted using grub screws, the acutal diameter shouldn’t be an issue (as long as the diameter of the “new” trucks is smaller, that is), or am I being stupid right now?

1 Like

You need as tight/snug fit as possible. Even moreso on round trucks.

1 Like

Fair point!

@BillGordon - do you think you could measure the diameter of the hangers for me if you ever get around to, please?

1 Like

Also worth nothing that the kahua trucks or the avio drives cannot be purchased, will likely never be made again, spares/replacement parts can’t be obtained, etc, etc…

3 Likes