6389 x 8 | quad unity/stormity | 12s/18s tattu | RedEmber 44

It’s spinning!

2 Likes

8 Likes

Experiencing a builder dilemma I’ve never encountered before.

I need to go ride it around the block. Then adjust as needed. But I need to lube it up first.

I don’t want to adjust parts covered in lube.

I think a literal dry run is bad idea.

2 Likes

Eh dry probably fine for test run

1 Like

Slow dry runs have been OK for me.
MIKE I SAID SLOW, NOT GO!

3 Likes

I know I’ve spun 8 motors briefly before. This feels closer to an actual 8 motor setup. I don’t think I was ever going to work out the belt tension issues.

I am using braskem polypropylene with glass fiber for one side of gears, and Polyphenylene Sulfide (rando brand).
https://www.braskem.com/usa/3d-printing-products#

They are interesting materials. both have superior layer adhesion and do not have to be rigorously dried before prints. They are impervious to any solvents/lubricants that will eventually go in the gearbox.

They both feel strange in the hand. polypropylene is uncannily light and the surface feels almost soapy.

Polyphenylene Sulfide is ridiculously stiff and emits highest pitch tone when dropped or hit against a solid surface. Higher than Polycarbonate, but it doesn’t shatter.

8 Likes

All the things exist needed to roll on 4 wheel, 8 motor drive. Just need to assemble.

8 Likes

3d printing note, specifically for the bambu x1c.

I noticed print quality was degrading and silicone sock looked pretty bad after a few mishaps with PPS globing up the nozzle. I bent hotend a bit and cracked part of fan shroud.

I had spares on hand and swapped them out in 15mins.

I have a qidi tech xmax that I hate using and servicing. So much so that I use it as a glorified filament drier. I could klipper it with a bigtreetech manta board for under $100, but the time pissed away isn’t worth it. In fact, no printer tinkering, maintenance, or upgrades is worth it to me unless it’s as easy as the X1C repair above.

I’d just as soon buy a P1S before I fuck around with manual bed leveling on the Xmax.

It makes a brilliant filament drier. I dried 5 rolls of various nylons overnight at 75C. Some were really old and I thought were toast.

The NylonX from matterhackers printed first time on generic PA CF settings cleaner than bambu’s tuned profile for PAHT CF.

10 Likes

Man making me jealous seeing you testing all these exotic filaments

2 Likes

yeah. he’s gonna know more about 3dp than skateboards. :smiley:

3 Likes

I shouldn’t be on the forums until all 8 spin.

14 Likes

God sped

2 Likes

You’re my hero Mike. I believe in you

6 Likes

Just read through this whole thread, it’s gotta be the most interesting build story I have ever seen. I can’t wait to see the end result! Mate you’re a master esk8 engineer :bangbang::skateboard::battery::rocket::100:

5 Likes

Amazing work and dedication. It’s like a high end V8 Car. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Doctor money with no kids is paradise. I mean look at Tim/Sender now. Does he still skate?

1 Like

Doubtful, he doesn’t even have time to ship items he sold.

1 Like

Excuse me, I take care of George. (Some of those nylon filaments were from Jansen).

I am using the Xmax as a filament dryer and annealing chamber. I’ll admit, That’s an expensive dryer.

5 Likes

5 Likes

I had to use the SWD programmer functionality in vesctool to reflash 2 supersingle unitys. That firmware doesn’t like to be erased over usb.

I’ve been here before, spinning 8 motors, but this is different. The belts were terrible, dunno, maybe these gears will deform too soon.

These glass nylon pinions are the best I’ve printed yet.

9 Likes