63/80 series , which one is best for diy esk8

I remember some guys were pushing their 4.xx VESCs pretty hard which is why I thought that we could safely push 50 amps with a focbox on the regular.

1 Like

Yeah you can

Other non-heatsinked 4.12 not so much

Even some like the go-foc retro can’t push 50a, I tried. It suffers on hills

1 Like

Depends if it’s sustains or not there’s thermal mass of the heat sink and surface area both play a factor in difrent ways.

The thermal mass just socks up and holds the heat so you could run a lot of amps until you satiate the plate this is useful for bursts but not continues

The surface area is what’s actually dissipating the heat

Then there’s the setting in the VESC that limits the amps as it heats up

Personally I dident go over 35 and the old 4.xx got very toasty to the tutch I agree with @b264 as a safe conservative sustainable limit

1 Like

Vesc 4.12 (non-focbox) doesnt respond as well to a heatsink. It hold on to the heat in the pcb itself. Thats why focbox is better with direct fets i thought and can handle more amps

1 Like

I run 95A on TB6380’s with no issues, I would not recommend due to the kV being way off from what I thought they were (4 motors and none were 190 as stated) other than that they have been solid!

how did you check

Spin motor at max speed, note ERPM and voltage from vesc tool.

KV = ERPM / Pole pairs / Voltage / Maximum duty cycle (0.95)

3 Likes

where u find pole pairs

Exactly what @Dinnye said.

Pull the can or assume like most motors they are 14 unless direct drive then I think it’s more than 14 around 24 I think but don’t hold me to that.

1 Like

i will hold you on that

1 Like

14 poles, 7 pole pairs

Number of magnets in the motor can. If it’s “pairs” you need, then divide by 2. Typically 14 or 7