4wd Canbus detection?

So Tldr ive had my board working in 4wd fine but ive been curious about a few things regarding 4wd since there is very and i mean VERY little detail,guides or how to’s regarding 4wd since its a niche setup most people dont go for.

But for 4wd when u run motor detection, is it normal to only see 3 motors even though all four spins during and after the fact I.E the vesc that ur connected to via usb, its canbus and one of the two motors on the other vesc? Even tho all 4 motors spin after setup is complete,really weird.

Also idk if its just my trash motors but sometimes on bench spin checks 3/4 motors spin in the correct direction but one spins the opposite way. Then continuously blipping the throttle and brakes makes that one motor spin correctly but while riding its completely fine?? Also weird.

Does that have something to do with the 3 motor canbus detection?

Would love opinions on this matter, @Skyart @mackann any thoughts since both of you have worked and ridden 4wd board before.

1 Like

Probably related to this issue:

Are you on v5.2? You may try v5.1.

4 Likes

Yea im on 5.2 on xeniths idk how to downgrade fw though. Cheers for the help i knew something was up with it but i didnt know what it was.

1 Like

Update, downgraded back to fw 5.1 and all 4 can devices are showing now woohoo.

6 Likes

think i got the same issue

dual spintend on 5.2

ur kinda screwed on that one then since spintends firmware is separate from vesc for the time being. Of course all 4 motors will still work like mines did but one just doesnt show up in canbus detection.

1 Like

yeah hopefully it will be fixed in the next update

1 Like

in fw 5.3 Vedder did confirm that bug from 5.2 and fixed it but i wouldnt use 5.3 yet since its still in beta and needs to be ironed out so as long as ur 4wd setup is working fine while ur riding then stick with 5.2 unless the maker of spintend made a 5.1 fw you could load up instead.

1 Like

I am having this issue too…dang…need to go back to 5.1 I guess…there goes 3hours of my life :man_facepalming:t2: at least now I know whats up…hello duty cycle buuuug!

2 Likes

Any reason why plugging my davega into my slave stormcore would cause it to not turn on? As in when I press the power switch on the master stormcore…if davega is plugged into slave stormcore, the stormcore won’t power on…I unplug the davega, and the slave stormcore turns on fine. This is on 5.2

I haven’t heard of anything like that before. Is the DAVEGA functional?

1 Like

Hmm thats odd did it happen before? It could be some power thats suppose to be sent from the canbus cable from the master to slave vesc goes from master to davega instead. Thats my theory, i dont own a davega myself so i cant test this on 5.1 but i would say downgrade to 5.1 to see if it fixes the issues.

1 Like

Also do you guys know if this 4wd can issue has been fixed on some version of 5.2? And if so where can one get this version of 5.2 or should I just go for 5.3

Nah i believe its a perma bug on 5.2 that 2 of ur motors wont show on the canbus detection so its either use 5.1 or 5.3, of course i dont trust 5.3 still because its new and opens a whole new world of undiscovered bugs that im not risking it for but id say stick with 5.1 for safety sake. Ik Vedder working hard to make 5.3 near perfect but imma personally wait til its proper usable.

Uuugh, I am having issues with detection on 5.1 after the motors spin up for detections, the process times out :man_facepalming:t2:

Really thats odd, does it only happen on ur storms?

Cause i got xeniths and never had a issue with timeouts even on 5.2 and canbus detection bug it never timed out on me.But then again i did hear that storms dont play well with 4wd setups for some odd reason.