4WD - 4 x 6374 Motors vs 4 x 6389 Motors - Will there be any noticeable acceleration difference, or will traction prevent it?

Give them a shot. You won’t be disappointed :wink:

7 Likes

Pretty sure I don’t want to mess with flpsky lol seems like QC Russian roulette to me.

Seems like the new 190kv TB 6380s are the best choice for me.

4 Likes

Haha. I don’t blame you.
They have been nothing but awesome to me or else I wouldn’t recommend them

Currently running the outgoing model on my board.
Had another set of a board I sold and they simply work great

7 Likes

@CiscoV What max motor current given by vesc tool?

Turnigy SK3 6374 “192” kv

Maytech 6374 “190” kv

3 Likes

I have been pretty involved with developing these motors and they are pretty sweet. Correct me if im wrong but I haven’t heard of anyone having one break down, and I haven’t heard of any complaint from the side of flipsky. These are now made in house by flipsky which wasn’t the case before.

Can’t argue with you that alot of their other stuff isn’t a bit of russin roulette, and that mostly comes down to design flaws and not actually QC hiccups atleast in terms of their escs and older antisparks. Some of their other stuff they are or mostly used to sell are also outsourced crap.
But these motors have been real good so far.

8 Likes

What battery are you running?

Right around 68-70a If I recall correctly
I run them at 95a and have no problems with them

2 Likes

Oh yeah. I also have their enhanced antispark and damn do I love it or what!!

I second that :point_up:t3:
Only thing thou. Battle hardening was required “can only” for peace of mine. Yes. A little bit of extra work but worth the trouble imo.
Battle hardening no longer needed with their new motors. I hope they’re as good as the outgoing model :man_shrugging:t2:

Personally I would go with 4x 6355.
IMO there is no discernible difference between the acceleration of 6355 and 6374 when setup with the same motor amps.
Of course the 6355 will heat up a lot faster but this should not be a problem with 4wd.
You will save a lot of weight though on the ends of the board where it matters the most.

8 Likes

Yeah. That would be ideal on thane. But 8” pneumatics will probably keep those 6355s running pretty toasty even with 4wd

2 Likes

I don’t know man. Vesc tool gives around 45A for my maytech 6355 190kV and around 70A for the exact same motor in 6374.
4x6355 have a lot better power handling capacity than 2x6374.
Yet I overheat my 2x6374 all day long so maybe even that would not be enough.

4 Likes

Ah see. Now you’re comparing 2 against 4 lol

2 Likes

What I am getting at is that if you can set the amps you want and not overheat then there is not reason to get 4x6374 over 4x6355.

6 Likes

yeah I thought the same 6355 would be identical to 6389 given the same kv as long as they dont heat up. if he wants more oomph just up the battery and motor max as long as everything stays nice and cool. motor size is not like p**** size.
heck im running tiny thane wheels and 2wd and dont have problem with motor temp. I have a hard time getting them over 60c. that said I live in cold Sweden, I might be tall but i ait that fat. running 90-110 battery max. and normally 75% of the time im riding at 55-65 km/h to not disturb traffic.

I did not want to comment on motor size as I dont have a ton of experience with being fat, living in a dessert and riding pneumatics. (ps. im not saying you are fat nor live in a dessert)

I feel like a ton of people only talk about range when comparing pneumatics vs thane but the the whole system takes a big hit in terms of thermals/amps.

3 Likes

I’m rocking 4x 6355 with six inch tires. So much torque and doesn’t overheat on a big hills on a 100f days. In theory they should have about 11% more power than 2 6380 motors, although you can really crank up the settings because the load is spread out between 4 ESCs. I’m pretty happy with this setup, keeps the weight down. Gearing might play a part, I’m geared around 40mph, Some are geared for 80mph (@Arzamenable) lol … If I was going to go faster, I would consider mismatched sizes, maybe 6380 in the rear. I have tested that and torque felt similar, was with 170kv tho

2 Likes

Don’t trust these spec sheets. Only use them as very rough guides. There is constant marketing pressure to inflate the numbers as much as they can without raising eyebrows.

Do trust people who have used various motors in the past.

2 Likes

Sorry if you mentioned this already, but are you running 2wd or 4wd on the 6384s?

And when you slam the throttle, how much does the whole system pull from the battery?

Trying to figure out how much discharge my pack needs to be able to handle.

3 Likes

This is the most i have ever been able to pull on my 4wd

225 batt amps, but if you look at that log, i am averaging just 50 for most of the ride

2 Likes

This is my current thinking on the best 4wd setup. Unless your doing over 40mph you cant use more power than this can dish out, your just carrying that weight for nothing.

@BigBen has a 4wd board with this settup and i got a build in progress with the same specs. Its the future.

2 Likes

Basically, If you cant pull more amps, then a motor capable of handling more does you no good?

That’s pretty interesting - I’ll be looking out for a post about the build!