$40 Home depot custom enclosure

@iamasalmon did you use the same home depot bar top epoxy for the carbon fiber wrap?

Yes, same table top resin. I almost got the real epoxy, but then I decided to continue this experiment. Plus, I’m cheep like that.

Part if me wishes I had bought better epoxy to begin with. But then I realize that i would have spent at least $60 more for the good stuff. This stuff is a little softer than laminating epoxy, but for the price, I can just glob it on with reckless abandon. I realize that it’s slowly getting harder, and it’s already stiff enough for me not to be worried at all. For those looking to squeeze every last gram from their builds, I’d recommend using quality epoxy and a vacuum bag setup. For everyone else, especially for people just getting into working with resin, it works great👍

5 Likes

Do you think it would work well for skinning a deck? Or is it to soft?

I guess it would depend on the deck, but if the deck is decent and does not require structural reinforcements, I would tend to go for it. Otherwise if the deck needs more strength, get the good stuff to be sure.

Thinking about it now, I didn’t bond different materials together with this epoxy, and while I can’t imagine this won’t stick to wood, perhaps a test on a scrap of wood would be in order. That way you can test to destruction before a deck gets sacrificed.

I’m happy to do this next time I mix up a batch…

2 Likes

Just want to say thanks for this this is the guide that I used to make my enclosure and work great

6 Likes

Awesome, I’m stoked this worked for you! What epoxy did you end up using? Also looks like you used dye for the enclosure…or paint?

Killer info, I’m gonna have to give it a shot myself. I liked it precarbon myself but I"m sure that added some rigidness, gonna need to learn how to mix in color or something so it’s not semi see through. I’ve been wanting to make my own enclosures for some time.

2 Likes

Awesome!
Definitley put a unique finish on it… so many options for skins and finishes. In the end I went with the carbon for the added strength

Myself, I’ve mixed opaque paint, translucent paint, and graphite into other epoxy projects… would love an excuse to use phosphorescent powder to make a glow in the dark part (enclosure?)…

The graphite I used to make a speargun track slick (purely functional) by mixing it into the resin pour. It ended up with this crazy marbled translucent graphite swirl look…

Surfboard shapers swirl paint onto layups to make trippy marble effects…

Edit:
A good mix is essential to epoxy finishes. Make sure you mix the epoxy completely before adding anything, and you should be good :+1:

3 Likes

Post #21 updated with progress👍

2 Likes

Nice work!

Am I right in thinking that it looks like you didn’t have to do any notching to relieve the corners while wrapping the carbon?

Correct.
If the corners have big enough radius-es(?) you can “massage” the carbon cloth down onto a form. Pouring resin onto the dry cloth helps hold it down while you shift the fibers gently to wrap the corners :+1:

2 Likes

Cool heatsink placement!

1 Like

Follow these easy instructions for an enclosure that is sturdy and quick!!

9 Likes

Update, a few hundred miles on this enclosure:

This thing is solid. I just got done doing an accidental rail slide on it. I was taking a different route than usual and suddenly I was facing a square curb. I instinctively slowed down (when I should have just SENT IT and flown right over) and ended up smashing down and sliding off the curb. ended up with a light gouge, no cracks or other damage. make it THICCC :v:

13 Likes

Cant believe I haven’t ventured into this thread before! Awesome work dude!

I may have skimmed over it, but was the carbon layer just a hand layup or did you vac bag? So neat!

5 Likes

yup hand laid.

quick recap:
Foam tape and wax over the deck for a mold
2x layers of 6oz chopped strand mat
home depot tabletop epoxy
cut and sanded to shape
gloss coats and more sanding
carbon fiber layup, more home Depot epoxy
careful cutting and sanding of the edge (don’t touch the carbon surface, just trim and sand the edges)
final gloss coat
holes for wires, heatsink, bolts
rail slide it off a square curb for testing
repeat this last step multiple times

14 Likes

I would say this is really great tutorial on how to start fiberglass / epoxy / carbon fibre work!

I think your ‘guide’ with detailed pictures also inspired me to go this route once Im gonna need new enclosures…

I guess part of trick is to use fibreglass, instead of carbon fibre from the start…

This way better results can be obtained even when not using vacuum forming (which might be a hurdle when starting out)

Have you tried spray method also at some time?

This other guy I know who has worked with fibreglass also, said his way is to make gypsum mold, then coat it and work onwards from there…

Though, If you got flat enough deck like most of us do, I guess this method with foam shape (or maybe wood in some cases) saves some time because you dont have the step with gypsum (which might work for more complex shapes, I guess)

Also would love to see some progress on mixing in dye to make it more darker, in case someone decides not to go for final fabric wrap.

One final question I had:

What sort of Wax did u use?

Im sort of newbie in this area, so im not sure is it available in spray can or just regular container with a lid which you just lay on the surface?

3 Likes

I’m glad you found this useful!

yeah, and chopped strand mat linked above (not the woven mat) makes it easier to work around the corners. after you build the fibers up a bit the corners get more and more round, then working the final carbon laminate around the corners is easier.

I have not. this would be very very messy but fast. more suitable for something like a boat, where you need to cover dozens of square meters before the resin starts to harden

to mix in dye or pigment, you would first get a complete mix up of the epoxy, then stir in the pigment (or mica flakes or graphite or whatever). This is advanced resin layup technique and would work best with a stopwatch and a strict timetable. and lots of practice. You need to work with a purpose because you’re mixing twice as long and the cure time is the same.

I used regular automotive paste wax. Tutle Wax I think, but any wax will work. Hairspray can also work (I have heard) but I have only ever used Turtle Wax and have had good luck when I put a nice thick coat. IMO, you cannot put too much wax

Good luck, feel free to ask as questions pop up, I’m happy to help!

1 Like

How much epoxy did you end up using?
I’m looking at doing something similar and need to figure out how much resin to buy seeing as its the most expensive material of the project.

1 Like

edit: short answer, about a quart and a half, but you can probably get away with just one quart kit

I ended up buying two of the kits linked above in the 1st post and had plenty left over. But since I got the cheap stuff, I was sloppy with it.

It can probably be done with just one of the quart kits. I had to buy the second kit because I totally wasted one whole cup sized batch and even the was able to finish the fiberglass part of the enclosure. The second kit was used to make the carbon skin and gloss coat.

I really like the cheap stuff now because I don’t have to be as careful with wasting it and just glob it on and let it run off. With west systems or other expensive epoxy, I sweat the amounts and sometimes end up with a dry layup and have to go back and patch…YMMV

3 Likes