3D Printing Discussions, Questions and Debugging

I like the batwing shape more, but to each their own. :smiley:

2 Likes

I downloaded that model online too - will print that one next!

1 Like

Thoughts on 3D printed bearing spacers? Specifically for 12mm Matrix II axles (street use).

I run some PLA+ ones, nothing to write home about. They’re not really load bearing or anything, although sometimes the hub tolerances are ever so slightly off on Rockstars that they don’t always fit properly the first go. Oversizing is better than undersizing, since cranking it down will compress it just enough so it fits.

1 Like

Do they wear down or warp at all from the motion or heat? I was thinking about PLA+ or PETG. Maybe beefing them up a bit so the walls are thicker

I haven’t noticed any changes on mine in the ~2 years they’ve been in. That part really shouldn’t be moving at all if the bearing’s doing its job. If it’s shorter I never noticed, because I don’t crank them down when I replace the wheel. They don’t rattle at the very least.

I used this one that I found because I was too lazy to measure my own

1 Like

Cool, thanks! That’s the kind of info I was looking for. MBS website says 22.2mm but I’m sure it would vary a bit depending on the print. I’ll give ‘em a go.

I use printed spacers, they don’t take any loads so yeah. :smiley:

1 Like

Right on. One less thing I gotta buy for this build so that’s a help.

1 Like

Strange shift on some layers here on a dimensional test print, Ender 3, 2 perimeters, 5% infill. In the layers that it affects it’s along the X axis, when it was off I manually pushed the carriage along that axis and there were a couple of “detents” or places where the hotend felt like it wanted to stay a bit. Does that sound like an issue of worn rollers on the X axis or a different error that compounded over lots of identical layers or what?

2 Likes

If you can feel something check the guide rails. If theres nothing, clean them, test again, if its still there, new bearings. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Oh and before you buy new bearings you can try to clean them too. Just be careful with the small bearing balls, they like to fall out. :smile:

Any recommendations on a good printer to get started? I’d like to be able to able print PETG, TPU, and ideally nylon, and ideally something as big as a top-mounted battery box. Would definitely like something with an enclosure.

That Bambu X1 looks really cool and probably exactly what you are looking for

2 Likes

Yeah that thing looks killer. Thanks for the recommendation.

2 Likes

The Bamboo X1 is really expensive. Whats you budget?

Gotta pay to play!

1 Like

I this case, not really. :smiley: Only if you want to play really fast lol

I don’t mind paying for the cost of the Bambu if it just works. Certainly the feature set looks great. I don’t mind waiting for prints but the most important thing for me is minimizing time screwing around with something that isn’t reliable.

Given the requirements that he started in the first post, there is nothing close to the value of the X1, doesn’t even have to be the Carbon, just the regular X1 would be good

1 Like