🧯 InfinitySink - CNC Machined Universal Heatsink

Update:

Purchase Link: https://www.machinesuits.com/product-page/infinitysink-2023

Howdy friends,

I hope everyone is doing well.

I have been so busy with school, robotics, and other major projects, that I haven’t had time for esk8. Now that I am settled at school, I have been skating every day, I basically “fell back in love.”

Anyway, clearly, there have been a few changes in the ESC market, and again there is a lack of heatsinks for the new controllers. I thought this would be a great time (again) to get feedback from the community on what everyone needs.

I took the original designs and made some tweaks, solving initial issues and adding hole patterns. Of course, I am open to design input, so please feel free to comment and ask for something.

InfinitySink V2
Dimensions: 144 x 100 x 11.5 (mm)

I selected the above dimensions as they allow for all of the ESCs to fit. As ESC hole patterns are removed, the overall footprint can be shrunk significantly. For example, without the TB6 hole pattern, I can shrink the width to ~130mm. So, these overall dimensions may change based on the supported ESCs and the size that folks want (many prefer the footprint of the InfinitySink Mini). I have placed two polls below. First, to determine which ESCs actually need to work with this heatsink. And a second poll to gauge interest.

Polls:

ESCs - Select ESCs you use/intend to use (If you see something missing, please provide your input)

• Stormcore (60d, 100d)
  • Spintend Ubox
  • MakerX DV6
  • MakerX DV4
  • GO-FOC D100 /D75 /D60
  • Unity/Xenith
  • 2x Focbox (Original)
  • 2x Torque6 ESC (TB6)
  • 2x Vesc 6
  • 2x Stormcore 100s

0 voters

Interest

• I want one

0 voters

Since I cannot machine these back home, I am working on other production options. Right now, I am looking at a 30-day lead time on 100 pieces, so not too long. Unfortunately, this also means that I cannot produce a batch of small quantities, so I need to confirm there is interest before I take the plunge.

As for shipping to customers, the dorm I am living in right now has USPS, UPS, and FedEx drop-off boxes right at the door. On a regular day, I can have products dropped off same-day. The new heatsinks will also ship within the US for free! Orders will include the heatsink, hardware, and a precision enclosure cut guide/template.

Assuming there is interest, I can finish up the design (incorporating community demands), and get the manufacturing process started.

Thanks!

3 Likes

Could we get rid of the 2-plate design please? I did not like having an extra surface to add thermal pads / thermal paste to, and it made setup pretty messy and annoying.

Of course, some ESCs like the maker X ones require such a design, but Stormcores, Trampas, unities don’t.

4 Likes

I thought the 2 plate design was awesome for ease of customization, like using the heatsink for a single ESC and a BMS, for example.

2 Likes

I totally get your frustrations with the mounting plate design. I am open to a design that gets rid of the mounting plate, in fact, I even ran a small batch of storm core Heatsinks with counterbored mounting holes for another vendor.

There is one main problem. Once you have even a few different hole patterns, the top surface looks like a mess, and you have giant cutouts in the fins. So as of now I’m leaning towards a similar mounting plate setup, unless this issue can be solved (without several variants).

Mounting plate was awesome and the custom made offset one you made for me was great. Don’t lose it. Heatsink hole centred on enclosure segment and esc offset inside the segment. Allowed 2 extra p groups to fit in that segment :call_me_hand:

1 Like

Maybe make it so that ESCs that require bolts from the bottom have the double mounting plate, but ESCs that can have bolts from the top (like stormcores) just have threads in the first plate, so that the middle plate isn’t required? :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

Did you ever get your prize?

2 Likes

Yes :heart: they’ve arrived and have set em up on my 4wd build. On BNM1s. :+1:

9 Likes

NOICE!

The storm core takes screws from the bottom (bottom of the ESC, top of heatsink), the unit itself is tapped. But, the spintend just has through-hole mounting points, so those screws would need to interface with tapped holes in the heatsink. Most ESCs have tapped holes on the bottom (stormcore, unity, etc…), so tapping the heatsink or mounting plate doesn’t help. Sorry, maybe I am not following what you are saying?

It was a process to get them there lol. I had the package returned twice :upside_down_face:

1 Like

Also has 2 wings on the sides for bolts that come from the top, that’s what other heat sinks for it use.

2 Likes

they can also take screws from the top. Is the reason for not using them wanting to maximize clamping pressure in the middle of the SC’s heatsink?

2 Likes

Ah got it. When I was working on the mini, a few people mentioned that they would prefer using the four tapped holes (just more points of contact and more secure :man_shrugging:t4:)

1 Like

Yeah.

But, I am open to changing it if this isn’t a problem.

That’s also where you want to cool the thing (well okay, technically mosfets are a bit to the side, but still), so you want to put thermal paste / a pad there. Cutting holes for bolts isn’t that ideal.

Using thermal paste would solve that but I’d imagine some people would want to deal with the mess. Thermal paste also benefits from more pressure, so thermally I think middle holes will always be superior (although maybe not in a meaningful enough way to justify the potential nuisance of paste vs a pad)

I’m pretty sure the spintend housing does have some threaded holes, but mine is currently crammed into an enclosure. Even if it doesn’t, you could still screw upward into some nuts on the top of those holes.

1 Like

Bolt and nylock nut through hole.

Epoxy nut in place. Wait 4 days.

Remove bolt. Enjoy new threaded hole.

1 Like

Tap hole for helicoil.
Insert helicoil.
Enjoy new threaded hole.
Best part is, if you ever bugger the “thread”, replace the helicoil.