200A discharge 3.7V 8AH flat pouch lithium ion cells

You not worried they might disappear halfway through you building with them?

could be gone any day. They do seem to have many many thousands of them.

what chemistry are they with a claimed 2000 cycles and such high discharge?
https://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/types_of_lithium_ion

They are regularly on sale for $4 so they must have a buttload of them, I will just have to buy more at once :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

These cells are rugged, cheap, high power, easy to assemble.

However, they absolutely suck with regards to volumetric energy density, weight energy density, and sub 60% SOC cell balance.

If they are indeed rated for that many cycles, that would explain why the energy density is such crap, haha.

I accidentally dropped one of these and it bent at a 90° angle, was surprised it didn’t immediately catch fire haha.

5 Likes

These nmc type cell is design for use in EV. Many company like VW and BMW use this type of cell for they battery construction. Is stable chemistry but low density.

4 Likes

Safety above everything else, right?

Too bad it makes the battery approach impractical weight ranges.

That’s why I believe fully electric cars ARE NOT the future.

Supercapacitor fuel-cell hybrids will be. Fuel-cells that can run off waste vegetable oil. But supercapacitors don’t nearly have enough energy density yet, and vegetable oil fuel-cells are still in the lab.

2 Likes

I think this wrong. We make electric car and many advancement is happen over last 20 year. Is only get better. Many improvement already in use now and some thing which many not see yet.

Can already running more than 500km for one charge and some car come this year which can more than 700km.

This NMC cell is old way of make battery. Cylindrical cell is better for application and more important for layout choice.

3 Likes

Unfortunately, batteries cannot get much more energy dense than they are now due to the fact that they basically have to carry their own oxidizer in the reaction. The primary limitation is the massive weight incurred trying to get a fully electric car to have comparable ranges to a gasoline ICE. You can do it, but at that point you’re basically hurting the environment more and the lithium would have been better used elsewhere.

Fully electric is most practical for personal commuter vehicles such as ebikes, escooters, and esk8. Fuel-cell has the advantage of not needing your own oxidizer for the fuel, but the full benefits of running electric. The promise of fuel-cell hybrid is a car with over 1,000 miles (1,600km) of range on a 15 gallon (58L) tank.

2 Likes

Electricity is not just come from battery friend. It give many options for power. You think is too narrow for this. Like I say. Many thing which many not see yet and is come to market later.

6 Likes

The laws of chemistry dictate that batteries cannot get lighter, lest they basically become bombs. Fully electric cars may be still end up being more practical for short commutes, but anything long haul should not be fully electric.

inductive power lines buried under the streets of Shenzhen, for cars and busses to draw power from. folks, you heard it here first

5 Likes

That would burn so much power and generate massive amounts of heat. Again, only practical for commutes, and requires a massive infrastructure investment that only a totalitarian government can pull off.

Most people don’t realize it, but wireless charging is actually pitifully inefficient, even more so with layers of asphalt and concrete in between the two coils.

1 Like

@jeffwuneo if I was making my own EV with a 144V pack what cell would you recommend for getting a range of 150km+ for the cheapest?

3 Likes

No friend. But is fun idea. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Send me message and we can discussing more.

4 Likes

if its nmc chemistry it would be high energy density but lower power than these. if its lithium titanate, which I used to think these things were months ago, and I do see people labeling them that…then they should be much less energy dense but that would explain the power and cycles
https://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/types_of_lithium_ion

but the voltage doesn’t match titanate either

Just heard that the Teslas in china intend to use “Prismatic” batteries with the CATL company. Lithium Iron Phosphate

1 Like

No. They still use same battery. And is lithium ion.

1 Like

This. I’d like to be positive about their use for us (Esk8) but the packs are too big.

I have them in hand and tried to use them, they are a mistake, turn back.

4 Likes

I use them on my electric gokart
They are okay, but big.

7 Likes