2 ESCs 1 Motor 🤔

Some of you might recall this thread on the old forum by @JTAG, showing a single ESC running 2 motors by having a long axle go through both of them, to guarantee that they are in sync.

I’m wondering if you could do the opposite: Could you put 2 weak ESCs in parallel to drive a single motor with more power? Has anyone tried this? Is there a chance it could work theoretically? Or is a single desync capable of frying them? Let the discussion begin!

1 Like

Both ESCs would have to communicate to one MCU for fet switching. By the time it works, you basically just have 1 ESC with 2 separate mosfet groups. There’s no reasonable way to sync 2 independent ESCs to one motor.

5 Likes

I feel like i saw something on this forum where two esc’s were running one motor. Instead of having the terminations of the windings in the motor soldered together, each esc controlled one set.

4 Likes

It would be pretty cool if there was a dual ESC where it could either do two small motor or one big one.

3 Likes

that would be fun but not possible with the existing ones, maybe Stormcore2 :crazy_face:

2 Likes

I’l sure it could have some added cost in components and dev costs, but the versatility would be useful and maybe worth the cost.

1 Like

it wouldn’t be efficient though, better off vesc with high amp FETs for high amp motor

2 Likes

That makes sense, things are the way they are for a reason.

1 Like

Also, I’m trying to imagine what you need to do to have a set FETs be able to run selectively isolated or parallel and it doesn’t seem feasible

1 Like

MOR MOS FETS OBV

jk maybe removable busbars like the Kweld?

not simply, size for something like this would be unreasonable, and again not the best way to go about it

1 Like

my thinking behind it was if you were switching output wires around that it would not be hard to move some “physical switches”

it’s a bad idea overall tho

1 Like

Wait, is this not the idea behind the 75/300?

1 Like

I always wondered what application would require a tripple motor controller

One way this could work is by using it as a load balancer. For example instead of having ESC1 running 100% of the time to drive a big bulky motor, you can allocate 33% of the time to ESC1, 33% to ESC2 and 33% to ESC3. This way the load is evenly distributed with less heat and more efficiency.

But this is going to happen at the expense of reduced speed, and you also need to figure out a way to synchronize the handover of the ESCs.

2 Likes

since you asked :yum:

3 Likes

With 6 phases motors you need dual controllers to drive a single unit. Or a 6 phases ESC which is basically the same.

Are there any 6 phase for skateboards? Genuine question

1 Like

@jeffwuneo has one on the back burner

what’s really nice with that is you can choose Delta or wye termination

3 Likes

this dude at my school was working on it, sadly I dropped out. i think he’s putting the idea to work with windmills these days

4 Likes

Still got his contact? I guess we need to have him here :grin::grin: Way to get more power.

Last time I saw this was with JohninCR builds on ES and huge controllers. I think Doctorbass death bike also had it. Deadly fun.