12 BMS Battery Management System Needed ASAP

Well, apparently there is a max post / dm limit for new accounts. I had to wait 24 hours from the time I made my account to post or direct message again. I’m apart of a four person team at Southern Illinois University Edwardsville working on this as our senior electrical / computer engineering project. @Bindings_McGee Are you just bypassing the 15 A discharge rating or what? I know that current draw is too low for our project. Also, what is wrong with the d596 BMS?

1 Like

He’s likely running it in a discharge bypass configuration like most of us do.

The way we do that is connect the BMS to the battery in a way that only uses the charging circuit, and not the discharge circuit. Then run the main power leads directly off the pack into your ESC and set the low voltage cutoffs to the appropriate settings in your ESC.

Doing this will prevent a world of pain when actually riding the board. Even 80 and 120 amp BMSs can get their safeties triggered with regen voltage spikes, which will shut the whole board down, cause you to lose your brakes, and possibly street your face. Or get hit by a car as you free roll into an intersection, or get impaled on a fence, or smash into an old lady possibly killing her lap dog.

4 Likes

Bumped your level so that won’t happen again. Thanks for letting us know.

2 Likes

So, if you all were in my shoes, which BMS would you buy? (From the ones posted on here?) I know I can make any of them work, but since I’ve gone from no BMS to about three options in less than 24 hours, now I can be a little bit picky. d596, d140, or @Bindings_McGee 's eBay BMS. And @BillGordon, Thank you!

1 Like

Most of my boards are running the d140 charge only. At 6A charge never a problem. Personally I would never run discharge BMS.

Sounds good, I guess I am ready to pull the trigger then! @Indomie Are you available tomorrow to ship?

1 Like

You’re doing this as a senior project and this is the justification for your BMS?

Fuck…

It all worked out. We originally planned for a D140 and thanks to everyone here, we found one. Just a shame that the original one we ordered wouldn’t be here on time. Simply asked, from what was available here, what all of you had good success with. A data sheet only says so much.

2 Likes

I may have one or two, i will check tomorrow

Still curious if this is for highschool or college. If it’s college I got beef lmao.

Im looking for a d140…

1 Like