10S10P modular pack.

So all of my boards run 10S battery. It’s just something that has happened and now I like the consistency. I’m building a 10S10P battery that I can Velcro to the top of any of my boards and have crazy range.

3 Likes

Why are all the batts unwrapped?

1 Like

I think they are wrapped in clear heatshrink, well I hope they are

2 Likes

Yup clear wrap. They are 21700 cells from a Tesla module.

8 Likes

How are you reaching down to the positive contact for the connection? Spot-welded nickel strip or will this be a compression pack?

For those who don’t know this cell doesn’t have a standard top contact, it is recessed and has a fuse wire/strip welded to it. When you buy these cells they have had the fuse wire clipped off, standard top contact structures welded on, and wraps added.

4 Likes

You cannot spot weld because the positive terminal is aluminum. The 3D print has a dimple which pushes a wire mesh into the terminal it’s kinda hard to see in these photos but it’s the best I have. They eventually get screwed together to keep the compression.

4 Likes

Thanks for the photos!
Ahh….so Tesla’s fuse wire/strip connection is laser welded then?

Pardon the messy workshop :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

If it’s not messy then you’re not doing any work. :grin:

9 Likes

It was definitely a learning process removing and cleaning those cells but after trying a few different things I figured out how to do it pretty quickly. It had 396 cells on it and I’d say it would probably take me about 8 hours to remove and clean all the glue off all of them.

1 Like

Is there a risk of the braid pushing into the negative rim of the cell?

I suppose there is always that risk. I put a fish paper ring down and then wrapped over that.

2 Likes

I’ll be using the same compression mechanism, tell me your feeling of it when you assemble it !

I already have this 10S2P pack completed and it is great as long as you have quality 3D prints you’ll be fine. I have 20 miles on that pack and I’m mailing it off to a client.

1 Like

They are not the best performing cells in the world but I paid $1.25/cell for them so I can’t complain too much.

1 Like

Thirty-five 10S chargers and 15 boards later, this hits me so hard. And also 12S LiFePO4 charging to 42V.

1 Like

Nice. I did a external 10s pack a while back ago for longer range.
I’m able to go just over 40+ miles if I keep the Watts/miles reasonable with the pack onboard and the one I carry.

This is a 10S10P pack, but with 18650s. (Panasonic PF)

So I’d imagine with conservative settings on polyurethane you should be able to beat that. For reference I am 210lbs (96kg)

On my primary board I have a 10s7p 25 r (17.5ah) and I can get 30 miles on that. This 10S10P will be 43ah. Combined I should get close to 100mile range. That board is on 97mm Thanes.

2 Likes